We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 14
Car rental

We'll be staying at Guelfo Bianco for 4nights. We'd reall like to drive around... Can we actually collect/return a car from outside ZTL zone ?

Anyone done that before? Which car rental should I check out?

Florence
reviews: 36
1. Re: Car rental

Unquestionably, the safest and easiest way to rent a car without running risks of violating ZTL rules, restricted bus lanes, etc., is to rent and return a car at the airport. It is easy, quick, and cheap to get to and from the airport by bus or taxi. It is also easy to get from the airport onto roads headed north, west, and south of Florence, taking you to Chianti, Siena, Pisa, Lucca, Bologna, Rome, etc.

On many occasions, I have found good deals renting through Auto-Europe, an online agency that rents cars through Hertz, Avis, Europcar, etc. On occasion, I have done better renting through whatever airline I'm flying, if any. On occasion, I've done better renting through Travelocity, etc. It can pay to shop around. Sometimes it is cheaper to rent through Auto-Europe's UK website, sometimes not.

One expensive issue is insurance. By law, all car rental companies must provide liability coverage. They do not have to provide insurance covering damage to the car you rent - through collision, theft, etc. They make a lot of money on that. Our Visa or MasterCard credit card to provide such coverage. Outside Italy, we use American Express, but they don't cover rentals in Italy.

Singapore
2. Re: Car rental

Thanks uncletomaso!

Would you be able to advise which area (outside ZTL) to pick up would be nearest to our hotel? N where would be the closest car park?

Florence
3. Re: Car rental

Once again, I recommend that you pick up and return the car at the airport.

There is really no place near the city center where it is a good idea to drive for anybody who really doesn't know the very complicated roads in and around Florence.

You should plan your trip so you don't have to worry about a car while you are visiting Florence. Use a car only for exploring the countryside at the very beginning or very end of your visit to Florence.

Singapore
4. Re: Car rental

oh yes! sorry I missed your point in earlier reply!

thanks!

north carolina
reviews: 107
5. Re: Car rental

The first, simple answer to your question is yes. At the rental office on Borgonissanti. leaving Florence is fairly easy. Returning to Borgonissanti is fraught with peril and confusion. it is terribly easy to go astray and take hours to find your way back.

You might ask them if you can pick up the car in town and return it at the airport for no extra charge.

The easy answer is above, per Uncle Tom. I know he is doing his best.

Mississauga, ON
reviews: 62
6. Re: Car rental

We picked up our car in Florence at the Auto Europe Borgo Ognissanti location. Very easy getting out of Florence without entering a ZTL zone.

After spending 9 days in Tuscany, we are returning to the Rome airport at no additional cost.

Enjoy!

Florence
7. Re: Car rental

Roadgard and Travelbug:

Of course I don't know when which route you are referring to.

I know of two: Ognissanti to Curtatone, to the Ponte Amerigo Vespucci, to the Lungarno Soderini, to Via Lungo le Mure di Santa Rosa, to Piazza di Verzaia, to Via Ludovico Ariosto, to Viale Francesco Petrarca, and on and on. I learned how to do it several generations before the ZTL, but I would hate to be in Florence for the first time and have to learn how to do it right the first time.

The second way used to be a straight shot out the Borg'Ognissanti to the Via il Prato to the Viale Fratelli Roselli to the Via Francesco Redi to Viale Allesandro Guidoni, etc.

But thanks to the Tramvia, things have gotten significantly more complicated, and you have to go around Robin Hood's Barn before you get to the Viale, and if you screw up, or miss the obscure little turns, you wind up in bus lanes, the ZTL, and the heart of central Florence.

I simply wouldn't recommend either to a neophyte driving in Florence for the first time.

north carolina
reviews: 107
8. Re: Car rental

Tom is okay.

Perhaps the main thing is his last sentence; and why worry about it, when it is fairly cheap and easy to get out to the airport.

Chicago
reviews: 27
9. Re: Car rental

Rent from the airport. Do not drive into Florence. The permissible roads are not well marked and you can be ticketed even when you have no idea you've done anything wrong. The mere receipt of a ticket, even if you successfully challenge it, will often cost you at least a 50 euro fee from the rental agency.

10. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, December 14, 2013