We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vasari corridor - closed?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, PA
reviews: 654
Vasari corridor - closed?

I looked on the polo museale website for information about the Vasari Corridor and it said it was closed temporarily. I took a tour in May 2011. I was able to purchase tickets directly from the Uffizi for list price plus a reservation fee. I will not pay hundreds of dollars for a tour with a private company. I would like my husband to be able to visit. He was not with me last May.

I had heard the Vasari Corridor was going to close for several years for renovations, but I see the private companies are still booking tours.

Anyone know what the situation is?

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 90
1. Re: Vasari corridor - closed?

Went through the corridor in March open then others can advise on situation just now.

Colombo
reviews: 10
2. Re: Vasari corridor - closed?

I also would like to know when this will be open again

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 8
3. Re: Vasari corridor - closed?

FlorenceTown offers a tour into the Vasari corridor so maybe contact them as when the corridor will be reopened.

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
4. Re: Vasari corridor - closed?

It is open, but can only be booked via tour operator/tour company. But that's the situation as of December 14, 2012. Things change, frequently, with the Corridor. Best number to call is 055/294 883 for what's what when you want to visit.

Florence
reviews: 36
5. Re: Vasari corridor - closed?

Would somebody please explain to me the attraction of the Vasari corridor.

I assume it's not the art - almost entirely obscure portraits of obscure Medici.

Are the views so superior to those in other, more accessible spaces?

There are so many spectacular things to see in Florence that so few people ever seem to get to: The Bargello, the Archeological Museum, the Brancacci Chapel, the Opera del Duomo, the Silver Museum, the Bardini, La Specola, Santa Maria Novella and its cloisters, the Museo Horn, and on, and on.

With the spectacular feast of things to see and do in and around Florence, I simply don't understand the fascination with the Vasari corridor. I do hope somebody will enlighten me.

Colombo
reviews: 10
6. Re: Vasari corridor - closed?

I too in line to know the answer to that question.

Ocean City, MD
reviews: 7
7. Re: Vasari corridor - closed?

UncleTomaso, all the places you've mentioned I would prioritize before the Vasari Corridor too. I've been to your wonderful city 3 times (5 days at a time) and on my last visit thought I would 'do' the Corridor. Unfortunately, I missed the dates. In my case, I thought it would be a unique way to cross the Arno (if the fee wasn't silly) and experience the one kilometer walk: museumsinflorence.com/musei/corridoio_vasari…

Castellina in...
reviews: 8
8. Re: Vasari corridor - closed?

The Corridor has two attractions. One, in fact, is the art - which depends on individual taste of course. Towards the Pitti Palace end there are a number of excellent self-portraits by artists whose works were bought by the last of the Medici, including Andrea del Sarto, Beccafumi, Bernini, Annibale Carracci, Guido Reni, Salvator Rosa, Rubens, Canova, Hayez, Corot, Ingres, Delacroix, Ensor and, if I remember correctly, Burne-Jones and Vasari himself. I found them fascinating.

The second attraction is being able to walk almost a km through a structure that one sees from the outside on every visit to Florence but from the inside almost never. The completely different perspective of the Ponte Vecchio and the private seating for the Medici high up in the Church of Santa Felicita have to be experienced at least once.

Of course there are other more fabulous sights in Florence, but I can't recommend the Vasari Corridor strongly enough.

Bedford, United...
reviews: 37
9. Re: Vasari corridor - closed?

I have never had the opportunity to 'do' the Vasari, but I would like to. Like others here, I have visited Florence lots of times (I am here now!) and although I would not prioritise it, especially if it cost a bomb, I think it's something somebody interested in Art and the Renaissance should do once.

Florence, Italy
10. Re: Vasari corridor - closed?

The corridor itself is about as dreary as can be. Hospital hallways are prettier. But the self portraits are stupendous. It's fun to see what these guys looked like, but it's totally fascinating to see how they saw themselves and how they wanted others to see them.

Sitting in the Medici's private balcony at Santa Felicita is very cool. And standing mid-way across Ponte Vecchio, gazing from the picture windows that Mussolini had opened for Hitler so that he could show off the view of the Arno (and of the other bridges that would eventually be destroyed in 1944) gives us the opportunity to pause and think about a major event that occurred here only 70 years ago: the battle and liberation of Florence.

Unfortunately, the Polo Museale's policy regarding the Vasari Corridor is a mystery not to be understood by us mortals.