We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

I have heard that Auto Europe is the best place to rent a car in Florence. We will not need to rent one at the airport but rather in the center of Florence. Any feedback welcome!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

AutoEurope is not a rental company. It is an agency that arranges cheap rentals with the major companies such as Avis, Hertz, and Europcar. It is reputable and usually good value.

St. Marys, OH
reviews: 14
2. Re: Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

We've rented from AutoEurope several times and picked up our car from the Hertz office on Via Maso Finiguerra in Florence. AutoEurope gets cars from several companies, but ours has always been from Hertz.. We've gotten good prices and very good service.

Remember that you do NOT want to driving in Florence because there's virtually no places to drive in central Florence without being fined. Automatic cameras take pictures of license plates and you can be hit with 1 or more large fines up to a year after you've visited. It's best to rent the car as you leave Florence.

Be sure you get an International Driving Permit (IDP) which is required in Italy. Take your regular driver's license also as both are required.

Florence
reviews: 36
3. Re: Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

In my experience, far and away the most reliable car rental agency in Florence is Europcar - which is also the largest. They are right around the corner from Hertz.

I always check to see if I can get a better deal renting through AutoEurope, and for longer rentals, that is frequently the case.

But nothing works every time, so I always do some shopping around, to see if I can get a better deal through an airline, or directly with Hertz, Avis, or whomever.

But regardless, I think Europcar has the best office in Florence.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 110
4. Re: Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

Why do you need to rent in the center of Florence? Florence is eminently walkable, and no car is needed.

If you want to take a drive out of town, it may be better to start forther out, so as to avoid the ZTLs (please read about these--under top questions, upper right, this page--Driving in Italy)

Lynchburg, Virginia
reviews: 115
5. Re: Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

if you use the Autoeurope site to find a car remember to use the uk site. I followed advice from TA and saved $35 on a 3 day rental which is not inconsequential. I'm renting from Lucca and dropping off in Florence--one way rentals are not penalized in Italy (again learned here).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
6. Re: Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

Whether you use the UK or US Autoeurope site, just make sure what they are offering are compatible in terms of insurance and other fees.

Renting from Florence and driving out of the city isn't difficult. Returning the car to Florence and avoiding the ZTL's might be more troublesome for many people.

West Chester, PA
reviews: 5
7. Re: Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

We are also renting from Hertz on Via Maso Finiguerra. What is the easiest way to exit the Florence city center without running into non-driving zones?

San Diego...
reviews: 5
8. Re: Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

Get directions from the rental office and follow them.

ipoh
reviews: 11
9. Re: Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

i have read quite numbers of positive review for auto-europe.

i am wondering under auto-europe, which car rental company you guys are dealt with? thrifty?hertz?avis?

thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
10. Re: Who is the best car rental company in Florence?

Which company you get depends on the location you select and whether you are doing a one-way rental. I have got cars from Europcar, Hertz and Avis with no problems encountered.