We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, Florida
reviews: 64
Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

I found Florence to be noisy, hectic, dirty (lots of graffiti), smelly in areas and at the same time fabulous with beautiful palazzos and piazzas. I spent 2 nights/1-1/2 days there last month and that was basically enough time to see everything that I wanted to see. (Please see my trip list on how to see Florence in two days.) My favorite piazza was the Piazza della Signoria with the Loggia dei Lanzi and the spectacular statuary. Also, I especially loved Florence when viewed from above, as from Piazzale Michelangelo and San Miniato (don't miss out on going up there) and from the two fabulous rooftop terraces of our hotel - Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni. (see review) I liked Florence and would like to return one day for another short stay. Actually the more time passes, the more I keep thinking about it. BTW, everything you've heard about The David is true. It really is that magnificent.

Bedford, United...
Destination Expert
for Florence
reviews: 35
1. Re: Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

When I read the first line I thought I was going to fall out with you!

Glad you had a good time, although I think you should stay longer next time!

north carolina
reviews: 107
2. Re: Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

I certainly agree that parts of Florence are noisy, hectic, dirty, smelly - but many parts are not. It is not difficult to find more genteel accommodations, but you have to think about it.This is a well-written commentary.

3. Re: Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

Where's San Miniato? I've been to the top of the doumo and piazzale michaelangelo but not that one. Would love to see from different angles

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 5
4. Re: Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

San Miniato is just up the hill from Piazzale Michelangelo. You may want to go when the vespers are singing. I don't remember the time, but I know it was late afternoon/ early evening.

Florence
reviews: 36
5. Re: Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

Vespers don't sing. They are sung - at sunset - which is what the word means. In English, we sometimes use the word "evensong".

At San MIniato al Monte, vespers are sung by members of the Olivetan Order, whose monastery is adjacent to the church,

Florence, Italy
6. Re: Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

I agree with everything you said, iaatf! Florence is all that and more! This is a real city inhabited by real people living real lives - not much different from how it was in the days of the Medici, Brunelleschi, Donatello, Leonardo and Michelangelo. Big, busy, refined, scruffy, elegant, seedy... Anyone looking for a cleaned up version of the renaissance should book tickets to the theme park, Firenzeland. Oh wait! Thank goodness, Firenzeland doesn't exist! Firenze, on the other hand, does - and how!

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 16
7. Re: Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

I read your trip report on Provence (couple years old) which lead me to your more recent trip reports on Italy. My husband and I visited Florence at the end of October 2012 and it was not noisy, hectic, dirty or smelly. We found it to be quiet, clean and the only smells were pastry and coffee in the morning. It was not particularly crowded for a city.

Based on what I have read on TA Florence in season and off season are quite different experiences.

Kentucky
reviews: 5
8. Re: Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

My husband and I are booked for our 5th month-long stay in Firenze....the reason? Noisy, hectic, smelly, dirty (although not like Cincinnati) and full of life. Hope you return...there's so much to love.

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
9. Re: Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

Italy posted the highest unemployment rates in January 2013 for folks aged 15-24. 38.7%. This goes far to explaining all the graffiti where, it should be noted with great sadness, no one is Keith Haring.

(New York cleaned up its act in the 80s ... here's hoping Florence does, too.)

We often think Florence smells like a sewer, and it's usually around garbage bins, and it usually involves young men emptying out from the bars in the middle of the morning who simply can't hold it in (even Florence's mayor complained about this a few years ago).

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay despite the olfactory & visual non-niceness.

Edited: 11:33 am, March 15, 2013
Florence, Italy
10. Re: Thoughts On My Visit To Florence

I might as well unveil the sad and gruesome truth about the abundance of looped young men and, I hate to say it, women who cheerfully and often loudly answer the call of nature behind florentine garbage bins. An inordinate number of them are none other than American college kids taking advantage of their highly sought after and expensive semester abroad. Luckily, I guess, they tend to flock together to certain streets in certain neighborhoods where the bars cater to their questionable tastes.