We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitors center for Florence? Good map?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
paris
reviews: 1
Visitors center for Florence? Good map?

I've tried to find information online on a visitor's center in Florence but haven't had any luck so far. Does anybody know if there is one and where it is located?

Also, we are spending a week driving around Tuscany - can anybody suggest a very good road map? We are staying a little south of Siena and are planning trips as far north as Florence, Pisa and Cinque Terra.

Thanks in advance.

reviews: 30
1. Re: Visitors center for Florence? Good map?

There's one in the train station, if I remember correctly (or in the train station square) and then one in Via Cavour 1r and one in Borgo Santa Croce 29r. The TCI (touring club italiano) usually has excellent maps - and Michelin as well.

Enjoy!

somewhere out there
2. Re: Visitors center for Florence? Good map?

Directly across the street from the train station--Santa Maria Novella(SMN)--there is a visitor center, it's almost in the wall of the church of SMN down a few steps --you will see many tourists congregated around it!

THey are helpful there and speak English.

They have free maps there too but you can get a fairly good one from FLorence Net--it's the best online one I have found.

www.florence.ala.it/map.htm

If you want a really good map then go to Barnes and Noble or any other book store.

For a good road map I went to AAA, theirs are about £8.95 and similar to the AAA maps of US states so they are easy to read.

Michigan USA
3. Re: Visitors center for Florence? Good map?

We spent 10 days driving around Tuscany - and to the places you mention, among others.

A good site for road maps is nautilus-mp.com/tuscany/…hotelgen.html

A good site for driving directions - MapQuest-like, if you're familiar w/ that - is:

The ViaMichelin site (good all over Europe): viamichelin.com/viamichelin/…MaHomePage.htm : plug in a “Departure” city and a “Destination” city, and you get turn-by-turn Driving Directions, in English (or other language of your choice), including how many km it is between the two and the drive time to get there. Florence-to-Siena? 78km…58 minutes!

If you'd like an outline of our trip with maps and generic photos including what worked/highlights/etc., Send an email: pkelly@triton.net

Paul

retired elementary teacher

Michigan, USA

Michigan USA
4. Re: Visitors center for Florence? Good map?

Another source for good maps: I carried Italy For Dummies w/ me in Tuscany. The book's maps - of the different areas/regions as well as of the various cities/towns - are very good. There are detailed maps of just about every hilltop village as well as the major cities. When we got turned around in a town, a quick glance at IFD would right us.