We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic fines in italy

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Traffic fines in italy

I've just received three traffic infringement fines while travelling through Italy in a Hertz hire car. The fines arrived 12 months after we were there.

One was for 'driving in a limited traffic area without authorisation' and tow 'circulated on roads reserved for other vehicles and indicated by traffic signs'.

On all occasions I used GPS for directions so find it hard to believe that am responsible for these infringements.

The company collecting the money is Nivi Credit and fines total 300 euros.

Do anyone know if this is a scam?

Paramus, New Jersey
reviews: 85
101. Re: Traffic fines in italy

It is not a scam. I had the same thing happen to me when I rented a car & the gps from the agency. It showed up over a year later. I waited over a year before I paid them. I was going back to Italy so I didnt want to have any problems. I just looked at it as it was my donation to help there struggling economy ;). I was in Italy last summer and I bought the European card for my gps. The last one I rented did work properly and took me down one way streets all the time or non driving zones(thats why I got my tickets) I had no problems at all with it, it worked great and never took me in the wrong directions.

Edited: 1:10 am, May 01, 2013
Dublin
102. Re: Traffic fines in italy

MomCat,

"I know more than a few tourists (non-English speaking) here and in Los Angeles who have been ticketed with no "leniency" for being foreign."

Were these foreign people driving at the time?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
103. Re: Traffic fines in italy

What? Of course, they were; isn't that what we are talking about? Driving and getting caught out because of not knowing the rules in the country where one is driving/visiting?

I don't know what your question means - seems obvious I was talking about driving

Bedford, United...
reviews: 41
104. Re: Traffic fines in italy

I think Casy was being flippant, MomCat. In my village, Irish people are fined as a matter of course, just for not being English :)

uk
reviews: 6
105. Re: Traffic fines in italy

I knew exactly what Casey meant, I think it's just an example of humour not crossing the Atlantic very well - and before any one starts to attack Bedfordshire villages, Pericoloso's post was also in jest!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
106. Re: Traffic fines in italy

Got it - thanks for explaining.

Dublin
107. Re: Traffic fines in italy

Pericoloso,

I didn't know about the fines but I had heard that the police in Bedford were very arresting.

london
108. Re: Traffic fines in italy

I have the same thing. Was wondering whether to ignore or pay. Any experiences?

london
109. Re: Traffic fines in italy

I have the same thing. Was wondering whether to ignore or pay. Any experiences?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
110. Re: Traffic fines in italy

Morally you should pay, you did commit an offence after all. Also if you don't pay the fine will be doubled and there are some reports of the debt being passed on to debt collectors in other countries.