We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back in Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Pleasant...
reviews: 16
Back in Florence

Hello Everyone.

I'm leaving on Monday for Florence for a month-long trip and was interested in doing a bit of a trip report in-the-making. Just a bit of reporting here and there from Florence on daily experiences and things I find. This will be my sixth time in Florence and I will be bringing eight art students with me for art history and drawing. Before I meet up with the students and after the day is done with them, I am generally doing a combination of zipping around the city some more, checking out enoteche, doing some drawing or photography, checking out another church and, well, I get a nap here or there too.

If you're interested in little bits here and there, I'd like to keep you posted. Otherwise, please indulge me...

Wisconsin
reviews: 38
1. Re: Back in Florence

I look forward to your updates!

have a wonderful time!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
2. Re: Back in Florence

I'm interested in anything you have to say about day to day life in Florence! Sounds like a dream vacation/experience.

Maybe we'll see you around - we're there for 5 days starting near May 29.

Mount Pleasant...
3. Re: Back in Florence

That would be great! I'll write something to start it off soon. Just running around crazy, doing this and that. Less than 24 hours before the flight takes off. Air France, my favorite!

uk
reviews: 6
4. Re: Back in Florence

I'm looking forward your reports - buon viaggio!

Mount Pleasant...
5. Re: Back in Florence

Well, between checking updates on the ash cloud and running around taking care of things one by one on my checklist, it's been pretty hectic. I always have this idea of sometime, before traveling, taking it easy, maybe having a slow, relaxing breakfast...- HA! I haven't been able to pull that one off yet.

So it's hurry to get ready for my friend to take me to the shuttle bus, that is an hour away, to get to the airport, another couple of hours with stops, and then, ...wait.

I'll know the Detroit airport like the back of my hand. But, I don't need to pay for parking!

Now, if that ash cloud will move away, and stay away for a while.

Mount Pleasant...
6. Re: Back in Florence

Well, the ash cloud didn't go away, but it didn't stop me from making it to Firenze last evening. My flight from Detroit took a detour well north of the usual route - across Greenland and above Iceland before heading back down to Paris. This added an hour to my flight and kept me from getting on my originally scheduled plane to Florence. No problem; I was quickly put on the next flight and, while waiting, met another group of college art students with their professor from Alabama who were heading to Florence.

I haven't changed planes in CDG for a while, and I must tell you, I think that they now have it set up very clear and very smooth. I had to go from 2E to 2G and, even with that hour delay, I didn't miss my original flight by much!

Cloudy and a bit of sprinkles here this morning. I went to get a few essentials for the apartment at the supermarket, including my fragola yogurt and Vitalis muesli with frutti di bosco for breakfast. Now I'm off to check out my neighborhood cafe down the block and then a lot of errands.

My students are arriving later today. I already know some are coming later than they originally planned.

More later. Greetings from Florence.

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 73
7. Re: Back in Florence

bravo !!!! so glad u made it and yes keep us updated from the florence the beautiful

:)

Mount Pleasant...
8. Re: Back in Florence

The first few days are especially busy with helping the students get oriented, get used to buying things in the market, taking care of phones, paperwork for the Rental Agency, and on and on.

It is really different for me to experience walking all around the Duomo and up Via de' Martelli a bit with no traffic. No buses, no vespas, nothing. After taking my students in loops around the city to take care of things like "how do you choose and weigh produce in a supermarket" to "where is an inexpensive email place" to "where am I, anyway?", we went up to San Miniato and heard the Vespers service.

The next day, Friday, we went to Santa Croce. I was disappointed that the Bardi and Peruzzi Chapels are closed, but if they need to do restoration work, that's fine with me. After looking at some particular works by Taddeo and Agnolo Gaddi, the tomb of Leonardo Bruni, the Pazzi Chapel and showing them Michelangelo's tomb they explored for a bit and then drew on the grounds outside. In what seems to be fairly typical early/mid-May weather, it was cloudy, then rainy, then sunny, then showered a bit more then really sunny. It all keeps you on your toes.

Edited: 9:07 am, May 16, 2010
pisa
reviews: 8
9. Re: Back in Florence

if you'll have a day trip to pisa, let me know...

pisa
reviews: 8
10. Re: Back in Florence

noblesavage,

i wrote you a private message. if you didn't recive it, pls write me your e-mail

cheers

silvia