We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel suggestions in Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CT
reviews: 2
hotel suggestions in Florence

We are searching for a hotel in central Florence within walking distance ofthe major attractions. We would like a 4star in the $200s if this is possible in Florence. Several that I checked were near the train station and several TA people said the area was rather dirty and questionable. Maybe something closer to the Arno? Is that a better area?

thanks

reviews: 31
1. Re: hotel suggestions in Florence

Closer to the Arno, in my taste , is a better area, even if in the evenings, it is full with street vendors (see the very long thread about "tainted" Florence in this forum). I definitely prefer the Arno area (also because I lived there in my youth). You don't mention when you are planning your visit. If we are talking low season months (say, January to March) then you might be able to find some 4 * hotels which would fit your budget in that area (Degli Orafi, Berchielli - river facing room ? - maybe even the Lungarno and the Continentale). A luxurious B&B I've stayed in is the Antica Torre Tornabuoni, which used to be very popular with TAs but has lost its lustre. I liked it a lot. Otherwise, it could be tricky to find a 4* in a good area for under 200 USD.

manchester, uk
2. Re: hotel suggestions in Florence

Before going to Florence we did extensive research and found that the hotels nearest to the train station i.e. via nazionale and on the other side via alamani are the cheapest but not the best.

if you have 200 dollar budget i would recommend the Grand Hotel Minerva in winter time as the rates come down. it is in the square of s.maria novella which is a large piazza 5 minutes from the station.

alternatively if you want a quirky quaint hotel go for the Porta Rossa which is really unique and only 2 minutes from the Ponte Vecchio i.e. Arno

Indianapolis
3. Re: hotel suggestions in Florence

Whatever you do stay as close to the city centre as possible. We opted for a hotel further out to get more "stars" and really regretted it.

Indianapolis
4. Re: hotel suggestions in Florence

Whatever you do stay as close to the city centre as possible. We opted for a hotel further out to get more "stars" and really regretted it.

St. Marys, OH
reviews: 14
5. Re: hotel suggestions in Florence

We stayed in the Hotel Bigallo, right in front of the Duomo. http://www.florenceby.com/bigallo/index.html When we opened our windows we were looking right at it! It was really nice, A/C, refrigerator, hair dryer, 3 stars, very good breakfast, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. About 180 Euros/night. The rooms were very nice and modern and it has an elevator.

jerryott@dtnspeed.net

New York
6. Re: hotel suggestions in Florence

I just returned from Florence and stayed at Palazzo Castiglioni Relais. Check out ratings on this site and www.venere.com. It was clean, spacious, and in the Duomo area, very central to everything. We paid 100 euro a night, and compared to other hotels, it was a great deal. I'm sure their are fancier places, but with the dollar so weak, I was happy to save a little money and have a beautiful room to come back to every night. Our room had frescos that were painted in the 1700's!