We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from airport to hotel near Duomo

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Taxi from airport to hotel near Duomo

Friend and I fly into Florence, arriving 10:25 p.m.. Our hotel is by the Duomo on Calzaiuoli.

Taxi? Bus? It would not be a problem for us during the day, but coming into the city later at night makes me a bit apprehensive.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Houston, Texas
reviews: 4
1. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel near Duomo

Unless you're already familiar with Florence at that time of night, I'd suggest a taxi. Out the front door of the airport, hang a right, all the way to the end of the building is the taxi queue, 25 euro to downtown. (might be a surcharge at that time of night, don't know offhand).

I wouldn't worry about safety, Florence is safe. Pickpockets are probably the most likely crime. I keep my wallet in my front pocket and have never had a problem.

UK
2. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel near Duomo

Taxi would cost about 25 euros for 2 people, there's not that much traffic at that time of evening. Taxi rank is out of building, turn right, go to end of building and round the corner, a lot of people hang around outside the exit/entrance waiting for taxis when the front of the queue is actually round the corner, so if you straight round the corner you could well be first in the queue. I do not know about busses but if there are any at that time they would be cheaper and you would be dropped off at the main station, with a few minutes walk to the hotel. We have arrived around 11:30pm in the past and have never had any problems.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 153
3. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel near Duomo

I don't understand if you mean the airport Firenze Peretola or the more important Pisa-Galileo Galilei. The former answer refers to Peretola. If you land in Pisa, it is another town, not very close to Florence. At this time you have just an option, the bus Terravision from the airport to Florence (departure 11.15pm, arrival in Florence 12.15am).The price is 10 euros.

www.pisa-airport.com/index.php…

In the middle of the day the simplest and cheapest way would be regional train Pisa Aeroporto-Pisa Centrale and Pisa Centrale-Florence (notice it for the flight back).

Your hotel is in the heart of Florence, so you won't have problem with tranferts. Florence is a safe city, not risky even in the night.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 98
4. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel near Duomo

The majority of long distance international flights for Florence aive at Pisa Galileo Galilei airport and not at Florence Amerigo Vespucci.

Amerigo Vespucci airport is only about 3 miles west of the city so a taxi is feasible and not expensive.

Galileo Galilei airport is some 52 miles west of Florence and is connected from its own railway station with Santa Maria Novella station in the heart of Florence. If you are flying in to Galileo Galilei then very sensible to take the train, much cheaper than a taxi (single tickets were only around 5 euros when I last used the train). However late evening the trains may have finished for the day (see www.trenitalia.it). If that is the case it is still possible to catch a late train from Pisa Centrale station by taking a taxi the short distance from the airport to the station.

It is walkable from Santa Maria Novella Station to the Duomo or a taxi woudl be cheap.

San Francisco...
5. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel near Duomo

Thank you all for your responses. We are flying into FLR, the Florence airport, as opposed to Pisa, so we will take the taxi to our hotel. Thanks, too, for the detailed instructions on how to find the taxis at the aiport.

S. California
6. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel near Duomo

Since Vespucci is such a small airport, they probably schedule many flights to arrive and depart at about the same time so they don't have to staff the airport for just one airplane's worth of travelers. No doubt the taxis will be queued up knowing what time the flights come into the airport. There is a fixed price between the ancient area and the airport. We went during the day, when it was 20 euros, but I believe it is 30 euros at night. Also if you have a lot of luggage you may pay a surcharge. (It is easy to walk from the train station to the Duomo, but if you're tired and don't want to deal with luggage and locating your place late at night, it would be most convenient to take the cab.)

S. California
7. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel near Duomo

Just to clarify, Vespucci and Peretola airports are the same one - FLR.

8. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel near Duomo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 26, 2010