We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Questions

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MD
reviews: 5
Transportation Questions

Appreciate any information/advice on the following transporation questions for my week in Florence first week of October.

1) Options from the airport to the apartment (on Costa San Giorgio near Ponte Vecchio).

2) How to get back to the airport on a friday morning for a 7:45AM flight.

3) Options on taking excusions from florence (Coach, local bus, train, car hire?) I'm not hard over having to see one place over another, just see a bit of the countryside and smaller towns for the day. If a coach, should I reserve ahead of time or try when I'm there, assuming there are places selling such day excursions. Is there a good website that addresses these options?

4) How long of a walk from my apartment area to the Duomo, about 15 mins?

florida usa
1. Re: Transportation Questions

here is some info :

1. Taxi from airport fare will depend on how much luggage you carry but basically around 10-15 euro. Also there is a city bus that runs to the Main Train Terminal which is about a 15-20 min walk to the Ponte Veechio

2. Same as 1. just make sure to leave yourelf about 1.5hrs for airport stuff and remember that traffic in am is heavy

3. Many, many excursions available ! a lot of places are only about 2hrs by train'bus i.e. Pisa, Sienna etc .. also dont miss taking the bus up to Fiesole .. just above Florence you can get dicount ticket for bus and museums at train station

4. yes

bob

florida usa
2. Re: Transportation Questions

here is some info :

1. Taxi from airport fare will depend on how much luggage you carry but basically around 10-15 euro. Also there is a city bus that runs to the Main Train Terminal which is about a 15-20 min walk to the Ponte Veechio

2. Same as 1. just make sure to leave yourelf about 1.5hrs for airport stuff and remember that traffic in am is heavy

3. Many, many excursions available ! a lot of places are only about 2hrs by train'bus i.e. Pisa, Sienna etc .. also dont miss taking the bus up to Fiesole .. just above Florence you can get dicount ticket for bus and museums at train station

4. yes

bob

MD
3. Re: Transportation Questions

Bob,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I can find an excursion after I arrive. One follow-up:

Are there Taxi stands around the Ponte Vecchio or do I need to try and find one in the city streets at 6:00-6:30 AM? Anyone have any trouble finding a taxi at this hour?

reviews: 2
4. Re: Transportation Questions

We were in Florence the end of May, had to be at the airport in time for a 7:15 flight. Our hotel made arrangements for us to be picked up by cab at 5 AM, our hotel (Antica Torre)was at the Trinita bridge, next to the Ponte Vecchio. We were told an hour to an hour and a half ahead. WELL, the Florence airport is the most unorganized I've ever been to, long, long, lines to check in, long, long lines to go through security, it took us about the full two hours to get through the lines. And then, after boarding, our flight was cancelled! We were bussed into Bologna, missed our next flight to the states, had to be put up in Paris, our original connecting airport. Our day was a disaster. I LOVE Florence, but would NEVER go out of that airport again. Good luck.

MD
5. Re: Transportation Questions

Well, now THAT sounds encouraging! :(

reviews: 31
6. Re: Transportation Questions

As for the taxi early in the morning, phone radiotaxi (4798 or 0554798) in advance and book one. They speak English and will give you the name of the taxi (a city name+number). To my experience, they are very reliable.

I remember you are planning on cheese and wine. One of the poshest shops in Florence, for locals, is Pegna, in Via dello Studio, behind the Duomo. Good cheeses for sure. Also good cheeses in San Lorenzo market (inside) or San Ambrogio (out of the center, near Santa Croce).

Enjoy!

Firenze
reviews: 18
7. Re: Transportation Questions

1) take a taxi, it's not worth lugging your stuff when you're jetlagged

2) no other option BUT taxi. If your first stop is again within italy, leave 1.15h before flight, not the required 2, because the airport doesn't open too early

3) plenty of options, just decide where you want to go and take the train

4) you're a stone's throw. 5 minutes, except for the throngs of tourists.

Don't worry about florence airport. I fly out of there all the time. Flights sometimes are cancelled or delayed in the winter, but most of the summer months it's fine. It's as big as a bus stop and perfectly pleasant. THe first morning flights (like yours) are usually a good bet.