We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

off the beaten path

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, FL
off the beaten path

My husband and I will be traveling to Rome, Florence, and Siena in October and are looking for a respite from all the walking/sightseeing/museum hopping we will be doing. Anyone out there ever go horseback riding, hot air ballooning, bicycling through the country (for a day or less--not a tour) or splurged on an experience they would definitely do again that is off the beaten path? We would like to get the most of seeing Italy's picturesque countryside as the well as city sights. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

San Diego...
1. Re: off the beaten path

I enjoyed Fiesole, which is about 15 minutes or so outside of Florence up on a hill...great view and low key....

Having been to Siena, I found it rather dull compared to other Tuscan towns such as Cortona. Siena was too touristy for me and the view wasn't as spectacular to the one I saw in Cortona. I'm going back to Italy in October, and I'm definitely going to Florence and Cortona again to see it in the fall (spring was fabulous!!)

Oh...I also loved the Boboli gardens in Florence!!! Next time I go there again I'm bringing a blanket, a book, and have a small picnic. The view from the top is a breathtaking panoramic view of Tuscany (half of the view was of a hillside, and the other of Florence). I went there twice while I was in Florence, the second time I spent about 3 hours sitting up there....I couldn't get enough!! They had to drag me kicking and screaming when they closed the gardens in the evening!!! :) Afterwards I took a stroll to Ponte Vecchio to watch the sunset. Can't miss out on the sunset on Ponte Vecchio!!!

London, UK
reviews: 25
2. Re: off the beaten path

Siena is gorgeous as is San Gimignano and if you want to see the countryside combine it with a trip to a vineyard - have a lovely time