We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back From Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
reviews: 9
Just Back From Florence

Hi,

I found the forums really useful when planning my trip so I thought I'll share my travel experience in Florence recently. My husband and I and our two children were there recently during the Culture Week, so our entrance to the Accademia was free although I booked online and had to pay the booking fee. It's recommended as there is a long queue outside and all I did was to show our booking voucher and we were whisked in. David is really worth it but so are the unfinished Prisoners.

We did not go to the Uffizzi as I felt that too many museums would bore the kids but walked around quite a bit and went to the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio etc. The weather was good on a couple of days but our 3rd day there was really wet so a brolly or mac would be very useful. It might be warmer and drier now.

We were extremely cautious when walking around especially with all the tales about pickpockets but I am happy to say that we had no trouble at all. The advice about using a money belt was great!

We ate at the Il Latini restaurant in Via Palchetti (I think) which was superb although the wait was long. But the service is wonderful and they serve you wine and cheese while you wait outside. Worth reserving but I noticed that even some of those who did had to wait for a while.

Took a half day tour to the Chianti region which was very enjoyable and we had a wine tasting session with snacks. We used CAF tours which is not far from SM Novella station.

Finally we stayed at a place called Soggiorno Gloria which is just a stone's throw from the railway station and good for those on a budget. We had a triple room with an attached bath for 70 Euro excl. breakfast.

Happy Travels for all going soon. Florence is simply amazing and this is one place where children are welcomed warmly. It is expensive with the exchange rate but worth it all the same.

colorado
reviews: 6
1. Re: Just Back From Florence

Hi,

We will be going to Florence at the end of summer. Could you provide more information on your half day tour to the Chianti region and perhaps a web site for CAF tours?

Thank you

Malaysia
reviews: 9
2. Re: Just Back From Florence

Hi,

The website is http://www.caftours.com/en/regtoursac.htm and the tour that we took was the Afternoon Excursion to Chianti

Long Island, NY
reviews: 32
3. Re: Just Back From Florence

Hi Aragorn!

I was so excited to read your post because we are heading to Florence in August with our 3 kids. Tops on my list are a tour of Chianti and eating at Il Latini. I'm glad both of these things aren't overrated! I looked for the website about the tour, but I couldn't find it. I did however search the name of your tour and I found out a lot of info - prices, times, etc. Thanks for posting about your trip. We are also going to take a day trip to Pisa and spend the last day in Milan to see the Last Supper. We are flying home from Milan, which is a nonstop back to NY. thanks again!

Nashville...
4. Re: Just Back From Florence

I am traveling to Florence on July 9-10. We don't have much time. Is there a ticket or pass that can be purchased to get "whisked" through the major sites? What about in Venice?

We'll be there a couple of days as well.

PJPUB

Florida
reviews: 4
5. Re: Just Back From Florence

My family an I have also just returned from Florence. I have a few recommendations that I have to tell future visitors about. Although his name appears on this forum just about everyday, I don't think enough can be said about this private driver. We used Allessandro for our day tour of the Tuscany countryside, Siena, Pisa and several other smaller walled cities. We did more in one day than I could have ever imagined. We also saw a castle and a farmhouse where we did some olive oil and wine tasting. He helped with our Italian language skills in ordering in a restaurant. He gave us so much information that I learned more in that one day than I did in the rest of my 7 day stay in Florence. He was so patient with all of our questions and picture taking. I never felt rushed.

I also have a wonderful restaurant recommendation that I have only seen once or twice on this site. After eating here I would have eaten here more times, except that we only had one more day left. This was the best meal we had. The owner made us feel like we were regulars and gave us alot of personal attention. It is called Il Barroccio. It is located on Via della vigna Vecchia, 31/r. The atmosphere was also wonderful. It is off the beaten path and we had a wonderful open air table. Truly felt like we were in the Old World Country.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
reviews: 71
6. Re: Just Back From Florence

You can pre-book museums at www.firenze.net. Or, have your hotel do this for you. You will not be sorry.

I have to disagree about Il Latini. It is not a place where locals eat but a tourist restaurant with food to match. I am Italian and travel to Florence often and there are so many wonderful restaurants there I would not waste my money on this one. Just my opinion.

Australia
7. Re: Just Back From Florence

Thanks for the useful info. We too are going to Florence in September with 2 children & we are so excited & on count-down already! It's great to hear first hand of your experiences & know the children will be wamly welcomed.

Shall certanly seek-out Il Barroccio, grazie wonderin.

Take you point caviargirl, but could you suggest some restaurants near San Marco Square that are cheap & child-friendly?

southern california
reviews: 2
8. Re: Just Back From Florence

caviargirl....please give us your restaurant picks in florence since u did not like Il Latini...it was the best meal we had on our trip!! of course everyone standing in line was there due to racheal ray's $40 a day show...she only had a bowl of soup but the entire meal was memorable and the owner and waiters were extremely warm and friendly....one thing that did bother me at this restaurant(and other places in italy)...are there no such things as waiting in a line to get first come first serve???

the line for Il Latini was wrapped around the corner and when the doors opened....out of nowhere popped people who spoke italian(but they could have been tourists) getting in before us...i didn't think they took reservations but this happened at the airport and places in general where lines would form???never encountered this problem elsewhere in europe....

Hudson Valley, NY
reviews: 3
9. Re: Just Back From Florence

First I must ask-

When was this taping for the $40 show and when is it airing???

We went to Il latini last year on our 2 week Italy trip. I must say...we loved it. It was one of the best "experiences' of our trip- it was much more than just good food. Yes it was crowded and full of tourist- but the Italians eat late- and we stayed so long that we were part of the family when we left. We sat with a couple from Australia and we made fast friends. We had sooo much to eat and about 4 bottles of wine- in the end out waiter treated us to a bottle of dessert wine- on the house. Our entire meal was about 55E for 2. If you are looking for friendly folks, good food at a budget price..you can't miss this one! Can't be that bad it Rachel's doing a spot on the show about em!

Bay Village, Ohio
reviews: 21
10. Re: Just Back From Florence

Our family of 4 returned from a 3 week trip to Italy this past April. I lived in Florence for a year and our daughter lived in Rome this past year, so we have eaten in many restaurants all over Italy. Whiile in Florence, we ate at Il Latini and we have to agree - it was wonderful. I was very skeptical about it - I thought it would be a tourist trap with bad food. But, my husband had heard about it from others and wanted to try it. I wanted to drive up to Fiesole that night to eat, but I gave in at the last minute and I am so glad that I did. It was the most fun we have had eating out in Italy! The food was very good and the atmosphere was terrific. Yes, there were lots of tourists, but that did not make this a typical "tourist" restaurant to be avoided. Instead, it made it a unique dining experience with above average food.