We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Draper
reviews: 8
Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Wow, be careful renting a car in Italy. We arrived in Naples to return our car only to find the rental agency closed and no place to park the car. The door has a nice little note that said any cars left on the street would be ticketed and charged to our rental.

After spending 6 hours trying to get a hold of National Car Rental, we finallly reached someone and they said it was our responsibility to return the car to Rome Airport (3-1/2 hours away!).

We had a tour we had to catch and had no other option than to cancel the remainder of our trip and return the car to Rome Airport.

When we arrived in Rome, they charged us a weekend car rental fee of $960 euros as a vehicle transit fee of $268 euro to return the car to Naples. The last charge was a $320 euro which covered the insurance of the person who had rented the car for the weekend (if the office was closed, how could someone rent it?!!) , Our original rental was only $267 euro for 24 hours. After two brutal hours of the rudest people I have ever dealt with, we left stating that we would just dispute with our credit card company. They treatened to have us arrested and said that they would put a hold on our passport until the fee is paid in cash or wire transfer. (never threaten to cancel a credit card payment). Once the police arrived it was determined that we had to comply with their request but settled by paying all of the cash we had between ourselves which was about $560 euro. Being in a foreign country and not knowing their laws and how far we could go with our position was very frustrating.

Everyone at National must have been ready for our phone call when we arrived home in the US because they were all ready yelling on the phone before we had a chance to tell our story. And of course, refused to do anything.

This is not something I would expect in Italy. Avoid National at all cost!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
reviews: 33
171. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

did you think that as you were from america that you were immune from speeding fines? its certainly not a rip-off! if you dont pay, the authorities will have a collection agent at your door.

its not the rental company's fault that you disobeyed speed limits!

martinsville, nj
reviews: 76
172. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

I also had a very bad experience with an was Maggiore in March, 2014 I rented a van at Fiumicino airport. The van had not been cleaned or apparently serviced . It was dirty and smelly. The van was parked outside of the garage and no one was around so I just drove it away. It was a 7 day rental and one day into the trip the engine warning light came on. This was quite a nuisance.

hull
reviews: 5
173. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Hi to anyone reading this.

I had my doubts about car rental in Italy after reading all the reviews.

Just to say my experience with Maggiore was first class.

Free upgrade no hidden costs. Staff at Verona (pick up) and Venice (drop off) were brilliant.

Valletta, Malta
reviews: 8
174. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

I rented a car in Italy, through Economy. They gave us a car which broke down after 1 day!!! They sent a guy who took the car, claiming that we should wait at least a week before he finished working on it!!! We called Maggiore... the worst customer care ever!! The lady simply said it is not her fault, therefore not her business and left us at that. We called Economy who said that they don't have a car replacement policy!!!! So, to cut it short, we were left stranded in the middle of nowhere without a car!!!! We lodged in a god foresaken place, no access to car hire elsewhere... so you can only imagine.

When we got to the airport, we find our papers ready. They were marked. The receptionist was very nice, saying that we should have received a replacement and that we were entitled to a refund....what refund?! They blocked EUR800 from our card, which we are still struggling to get back!!!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
175. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

why did you also imply that the same thing happened to you in austria?

apart from that, please have a look at the terms and conditions of maggiore. they DO in fact have a free car replacement policy, unless the damage is caused by you being negligent.

economy cars is a booking agent only and they themselves cannot replace a vehicle as they do not actually rent out cars! your contract is always with the rental company itself.

176. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Hi

I can see that others have had problems at the Florence Airport office. We were charged for missing fuel even though the car had been re-fueled right outside the airport less than 1 km from car rental return. I have of course receipt for the fuel with time stamp (and I did not bring the fuel home in my suitcase).

Have tried to phone the office in Florence 'Airport' - they do not pick up the phone, have tried to send emails - no reply and even sent a fax - but no reaction at all.

Have tried to find another way to express my complains (main office in Rome) but it is extremely difficult to get any other contact details than the rental office. And now I know why. It is simply the way Maggiore runs the business. Overcharging the customer and then ignoring the complains. No more Maggiore for me!!

Milano
reviews: 17
177. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Awful experience with Maggiore Car Rental @Brindisi airport. When I returned the car, they tried to charge 150€ extra for an extra car wash needed due to the sand in the car cabin. I drove to the nearest Oil Station and with 1€ I cleaned it. On top of the robbery that they tried to do, the employees were arrogant and rude.

Saint Louis...
178. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Prambanan, we're listening and would like to address this with you directly. Please email care@nationalcar.com with your contact information and the details of your rental, so we can research this properly. When emailing please reference # 140827-001624. We look forward to hearing from you soon. - Christopher

Montreal, Canada
179. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Got the same experience. Those people are reallly crooks. I refueled just before returning the car and back home I received a bill on my credit card account of more than 100$ for fuel, time and labor to do the refueling. This was a ripoff!. How can you argue, discuss 2000 miles away from Rome.

Please do not use Rome Maggiore Car Rental

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
180. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

why not go the correct route? if you were charged for something that was not a valid charge, you should contact your cc company and instruct them to withold payment. could the charge be for providing your details to the police ? you were in rome so could have been caught by camera, entering a ztl zone. it would be unlikely that your cc statement would show what the 100$ was for.