We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach...
reviews: 20
How many days in Florence

We will be going to Florence in April...would 6 nights be too many?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 61
1. Re: How many days in Florence

It depends...are you going anywhere else in Italy or is Florence your only stop? What are you interested in seeing and doing? Do you want to be busy the whole time or would you like some downtime for relaxing? Are you interested only in Florence or would you consider making day trips?

When we were in Florence in October, we spent 5 nights and felt satisfied with what we saw and did. That amount of time felt 'about right' for a visit - Florence was our first stop before going to Siena and Rome. Also, one of those five nights was the evening we arrived (14 hours from US West Coast to Florence), so maybe you should factor travel-weariness in to your stay.

There are alot of things to consider when you ask "would six nights be too many?". For some people six hours might be enough and for others six weeks wouldn't be enough...could you write back with more about what you plan to do?

Ciao, Brian

Italia
2. Re: How many days in Florence

i spent 4 months in florence and it wasn't enough.

THe more nites the better. I would do more nites in Florence than any other city in Italy, especially Rome. Florence is so nice and relaxing. That and the Amalfi Coast

Sunny Isles Beach...
reviews: 8
3. Re: How many days in Florence

I agree Benjamino, and since I am a Florida gal too, I just had to chime in! The first time I visited Florence was with my Mother many years ago (about 35), and the few day visit whetted my appetite for all the treasures that Florence can offer. I made up my mind then and there that I had to return, soon and frequently. I spent the next summer studying at the University of Florence, and have been back over a dozen times since. In my opinion, you can never have enough Florence! Tony Bennett may have left his heart in San Francisco, but my heart and soul are definitely most at home in Florence. I am convinced I must have been a Florentine in a former life!

Pittsburgh,PA
4. Re: How many days in Florence

Elliemae, Sice you've in Florence so amy times, which hotels and restaurants, pizza places, do you recommend. Moderately priced places. PLMK Thanks!

Los Altos...
reviews: 33
5. Re: How many days in Florence

Definitely, no. The first few times I travelled to Italy, I must admit that I got caught up with the usual tourist stomp through each city, seeing the "must-see sights." But now when I visit, I enjoy it so much more, because I take the time to soak up the atmosphere and the culture, which, I dare say, is actually the greatest attraction of every Italian town, including Florence. Sure, I still visit the big attractions again that I love to see, but it's so much more enjoyable now when I just spend hours lost wandering the streets with no particular destination in mind. Or sitting at a cafe ourdoors watching Italian culture and life pass by.

From a practical standpoint, I do think that in 6 days, you have enough time to take at least a day-trip out to explore the famed Tuscan countryside.

Sunny Isles Beach...
6. Re: How many days in Florence

maycurl, sorry I just now saw your question: I have stayed in the Excelsior and the Grand (my favorite, but by no means moderate), the Lungarno, the Villa Medici, the Villa Villoresi (in the outskirts...both of the last two have a pool), and I loved them all. On my next trip, I plan to try one of the more moderate highly recommended charming spots from this site. As far as restaurants, my favorites are Mamma Gina's and Buca Lapi for bistecca alla fiorentina. I'm not a pizza fan, so I will defer to those more inclined toward it. I did have a delicious charming candlelit dinner on the terrace of the Villa Villoresi on my last trip, which was moderate and memorable...everything home made, and much of it even grown on the premises...in the burbs.

Firenze
reviews: 18
7. Re: How many days in Florence

Actually, i think 6 days is a rather perfect amount of time for a first time visitor to florence. It's enough time to get a pretty good feel for the place, see the major sites, and also have time to walk around in order to come upon minor sites by surprise.

Too many is certainly not a factor -- I have been here 6 years now, and still have not seen some things. Though i admit, one gets lazy.

For maycurl, i have some pizzeria listings and a few hotels to suggest on my website www.arttrav.com/florence

A great hotel for location-price-quality ratio is Hotel relais il cestello (link on my website)

Pittsburgh,PA
8. Re: How many days in Florence

Elliemae and tomale, thanks for all your help! Appreciate your responses!!

Pittsburgh,PA
9. Re: How many days in Florence

Ellimae or Tomale-Was wondering if the steak in Florence is only prpared rare, as we prefer it at least medium. Can that be requested? If so, is there a particular to phrase that when ordering? PLMK Thanks!

Sunny Isles Beach...
10. Re: How many days in Florence

you absolutely can order it however you want, but it is traditionally eaten at least pink, so the locals may look at you a little "funny"...but hey! the customer's always right, right? My Italian is a little rusty, (and Tomale please correct me if I am wrong), but I believe the way to say it is "bene cotta" or well cooked.