We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

We are looking into picking up and dropping off our rent a car at the location listed above near train station in Florence. Booking online with Auto Europe. Right now rate quoted for 3 days is $262 for automatic. Do I need to be weary of anything...

hidden fees?

difficulty getting out of town to Tuscany? (Greve)

is manual cheaper than automatic?

Auto Europe says it does not provide insurance and coverage provided by rental company??? Should I purchase this when I pick up car?

Diesel vs. Regualr gasoline...which is it??

Thank you for any insight.

1. Re: Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

By the way, the quote for above from Auto Europe was for a Nissan Micra or similar economy.

Thanks again..

St. Marys, OH
reviews: 17
2. Re: Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

Just be sure you have all the insurance you may need such as liability. AutoEurope is usually pretty good about including everything in the quote.

We always rent from AutoEurope but pick the car up from the office on Via Maso Finiguerra. That office does not show up on the website, but I called them because we're renting from them again in Sept. Getting out of Florence is pretty easy with their directions and map they give you, but we've never left town from the V. Borgo Ognissanti office.

Manual transmission cars are cheaper than the automatic and represent the large majority of rental cars.

AutoEurope is a broker, they don't own cars, but they rent cars through Hertz and Avis. They don't provide the insurance, the car rental company does. Yes, you should have insurance. What if the car is damaged, stolen, or burns? What if you're in a wreck and another car is totalled and someone in it hurt? The quotes I've received from AutoEurope always have the full insurance because our insurance we have here in the US will not cover us in Italy.

Many cars are diesel and that's what I like to rent. They get very good mileage, especially with a manual transmission, however, you could get either. Just be sure you know before you fill up!!!

italybound@verizon.net

reviews: 29
3. Re: Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

Just a few more remarks. Maso finiguerra and Borgognissanti are very close to each other - actually Maso Finiguerra corners Borgognissanti so it just might have been the same agency.

Automatic in Europe is always more expensive than manual, but if you are used to automatic, stick to it (what a pun) - better to spend a few more dollars than get struggle through a winding road in the Chianti .

Enjoy!

4. Re: Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

Thank you for the reply, very useful information. You are right, I double checked and the location you mentioned is not listed on their website. I picked the location I did due to proximity of train station and I am arriving from Rome, also location to Hotel Davanzati where I will be returning to after Tuscany. Do you see forsee any problem then pursuing booking via online? You mentioned you called AutoEurope...is it better to book through an 800 number?

Thank You

5. Re: Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

Loved the pun...made me laugh! Yes, the hills, scenery and winding roads will be enough adventure for us...

Thanks

Miami
6. Re: Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

I did my booking through Nova hire a car, this is a booking agency, which gave us the best rate. Auto Europe at Via Borgognissanti was the actual rental company and I bought the insurance from them.

Everything went smoothly. Driving in Italy is relatively easy until you hit a major city where traffic is usually thick and you have to navigate through many one way streets.

Be sure to have a good map that will show the one way streets and make a route to get out from the city and then back in. A good copilot, who also has studied he map, is essential as the driver will be more concerned with the driving than the route. Once you hit the highway , driving become really easy as roads are very good and well signalized.

Enjoy your road trip and the beautiful scenery !!

St. Marys, OH
reviews: 17
7. Re: Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

I've booked on line and by phone also. Again, they didn't list the Train Station office in Orvieto where we like to drop the car off. When I called them they said I could drop it there. So it depends on whether you can find what you want on the internet or not. If you have a question it is very expedient to call them. I've found the telephone personnel to VERY helpful every time I've called them.

Yes, be sure to have a good map of Tuscany with you.

8. Re: Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

I did all my booking through nova on the net and everything went smoothly. But I didn't have any particular questions. Had I had one, I would have probably phoned.

9. Re: Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

Quick question....there are two locations listed for Auto Europe locations on Via Borgo Ognissanti.

128r Via Borgo Ognissanti

53-55r Via Borgognissanti

They both say Downtown Florence office. Which one is closer to train station. Is the above the same road, couldn't tell by spelling? If I can pick up at airport and drop off at downtown location for same price, is it easier to drive to Greve from airport that downtown Florence?

thanks!

10. Re: Rent a Car/Auto Europe @Via Borgo Ognissanti/Florence

You can find the answer to your questions at viamichelin.com. It's the same street