We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Cortona for 8 days - where should we visit?

Which Cortona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Drammen
reviews: 1
Staying in Cortona for 8 days - where should we visit?

We're staying for 8 days just outside Cortona in May with our kids. We've visited Cortona before, so this time we want to spend a few days driving around the countryside visiting different towns.

We're looking for charming towns, great scenery and the other good things Tuscany has to offer.

What places would you visit, and why?

Perth, Australia
reviews: 49
11. Re: Staying in Cortona for 8 days - where should we visit?

Susanna thank you for your tips there were very helpful as I am staying in Cortona in July and I think the place you have mentioned sound wonderful

Florence, Italy
12. Re: Staying in Cortona for 8 days - where should we visit?

While you're in Cortona, don't skip the excellent Diocesan Museum!

From Cortona you can drive the back roads toward Umbertide and the wonderful Upper Tiber Valley: Città di Castello, Montone, Sansepolcro, Anghiari, Citerna,, Monterchi, Caprese Michelangelo (birthplace of... guess who!) Ok, these last four aren't technically in the valley, but they might as well be. Monterchi is the home town of Piero della Francesca - you'll find there a quirky museum that has only one work of art: Piero's exquisite "Madonna del Parto". And if you're a fan (even if you're not, you can become one!), the Museo Civico in Sansepolcro is home to many of Piero's most important works, including the "Resurrection" and the "Madonna della Misericordia"!

Each of these towns has entirely droolworthy places to eat. Our favorites are La Locanda del '800 in Città di Castello, Nena in Anghiari, La Vecchia Pieve just outside Monterchi, Ventura and Il Fiorentino in Sansepolcro.

Another thought for a fun day out - take a wine tour of the unfortunately little known wine country of Montefalco, in Umbria. Contact Giselle at Gusto Wine Tours (http://www.gustowinetours.com/) - she and her husband, Mark, are fantastic.

As for the Abbey of Sant'Antimo - this is one of my favorite spots on the planet. Legends are good! In medieval times, just like today, people strove to upgrade their status by attaching themselves in any way to someone of great importance. That Charlemagne actually founded the abbey is dubious, but the legend lives on and that's fine. What we have is an excellent example of a medieval Cistercian church, built in the style of the French abbey of Clairveaux, which no longer exists. It doesn't matter what faith you subscribe to, or no faith at all - at Sant'Antimo you'll find a sense of peace and balance like nowhere else.

London, United...
13. Re: Staying in Cortona for 8 days - where should we visit?

in the province of Arezzo, is, in my opinion, worth a visit "La Madonna del Parto" by Piero della Francesca, in the small and charming Monterchi, I recommend a visit to the sacred hermitage of Camaldoli.

reviews: 5
14. Re: Staying in Cortona for 8 days - where should we visit?

Excuse me for butting in on your post but my husband & I plan to stay in the Chianti region for 3 nights & we plan also to have a car (yikes!). We will already have just enjoyed 3 nights in Florence including a Chianti wine-tasting afternoon.

We really want to savour & enjoy our Tuscan/chianti experience (pardon me for not knowing the difference!). Happy to drive somewhere beautiful/charming/quaint but don't want to drive forever.

Which village should we base ourselves & can you outline a suggested itinerary please? I love the sound of what you suggested for the travellers staying for 8 days, but we are not so lucky ;-(. We will need to pick out the "best" and do what we can in 3 days. It makes sense to stay somewhere central of course but we would like to visit Siena. Also would like to visit Assisi but only because of the St Francis thing - we have a string of "Francis'" in the family - is this a good reason? It's my only reason!

I wrote down everything you suggested for the 8 day travellers - help me prune the list please!

We will be there in August - about the 20th

We're 50s - so no kids anymore

We love small & quaint rather than big crowds.

Thanks!

15. Re: Staying in Cortona for 8 days - where should we visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:57 am, March 05, 2013
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
16. Re: Staying in Cortona for 8 days - where should we visit?

There were several lists of suggestions, so I don't know which one you want pruned down. However, you say you have three days, and want to see Siena and Assisi, so that leaves you one day to see something else.

I suggest that you stay somewhere near Montepulciano, which is more or less midway between Assisi and Siena, and it's an interesting town in its own right. With a car, it's probably best to stay in the countryside, maybe in an agriturismo which has a restaurant. From Montepulciano, you could visit towns such as Pienza, Città della Pieve, and Montalcino, and of course, Montepulciano itself. South of Montalcino, in the beautiful abbey of Sant'Antimo, you can hear the monks chant the vesper service at 7 PM on weekdays, 6:30 on Sundays and holidays. You should be able to see most or all of these places on the third full day you have available.

Assisi, aside from the religious significance has frescoes in the upper basilica of enormous value. The town itself and the surrounding countryside are very beautiful. The nearby little town is Spello is one of the prettiest towns in central Italy.

Siena is a beautiful city, and worth a full day if you really want to enjoy it. Since you have a car, you might also be abe to squeeze in a visit to the little town of Buonconvento, and the beautiful nearby abbey of Monte Oliveto.

There will be lots of tourists in all these places in August. To get away from tourists, you'd really have to go to Umbria, Le Marche, or Abruzzo, which are beautiful regions of hill towns in central Italy that are not as well known as Tuscany. Umbria is getting almost as well known, but there are still towns that are less crowded in the high season. Abruzzo is a favorite summer holiday spot of Italians, but you don't see many foreign tourists there. Le Marche mostly has Italian tourists as well, and there are many very beautiful spots that would love to have a little tourist spillover from Tuscany.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
17. Re: Staying in Cortona for 8 days - where should we visit?

I just saw that you have only three nights in the area, which is not three days, but really just two days, plus whatever time you can squeeze out of your travel days. If possible, I would try to stretch it to four nights. If not, maybe you could visit two towns, say Montalcino and the Abbey of Sant'Antimo on your arrival day, and Montepulciano, Pienza, and Città della Pieve on your departure day. Or you could do a little more pruning.

reviews: 5
18. Re: Staying in Cortona for 8 days - where should we visit?

Thank you! Your advice is wonderful & I do appreciate it. I shall now do some research & look into all your suggestions.

19. Re: Staying in Cortona for 8 days - where should we visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 07, 2014