We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cortona or Volterra

Which Cortona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Cod
reviews: 11
Cortona or Volterra

My husband and I will be spending 10 days in Tuscany. We've already booked 5 days in Pienza. Our TA has selected a couple of other places to stay for 5 days. 1. Villa Marseli/Cortona, or 2. Villa Porta all'Arco/Volterra. Both villas are just outside of the towns but within walking distance to enter. Villa in Volterra is within 3 min. walk to steps leading into the town. What are the steps? Many? Steep? Although I can walk forever, I have a knee problem that makes climbing stairs slow and a bit difficult although not impossible. Any thoughts on either area/which would be the most interesting of the two. Thanks for any help.

Cetona
1. Re: Cortona or Volterra

If you are going to spend 5 days in Pienza you can reach Cortona and visit in one hour and sourrnding areas.

Probably is better if you go to Volterra after Pienza.

Cape Cod
2. Re: Cortona or Volterra

Thank you, Mary. That seems to be the plan right now. We visited Pienza on a tour a couple of years ago and loved the village. Catie mentioned to me earlier your town of Cetona. I'm hoping in my travels to stop there for a visit and lunch.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
reviews: 24
3. Re: Cortona or Volterra

There's a really good restaurant in Cetona, called "Osteria Vecchia". We had a wonderful lunch there last year.

Firenze
reviews: 18
4. Re: Cortona or Volterra

I agree that Volterra would be a good choice as you'd be changing landcapes somewhat. Congratulations on a great choice of 10 days in the lesser traveled areas of Tuscany!

Those steps in Volterra are pretty brutal - i have bad knees too - but I seem to recall that there is an elevator. Cortona on the other hand has a moving staircase.

Have you looked at the official tourism website for tuscany? I often find that it's a good starting point for various towns; just click the various links under "information" on the right hand side. http://tinyurl.com/njxydy

Cetona
5. Re: Cortona or Volterra

Francesca,

Cetona is soooooooo nice... and from Pienza is a short trip...if you can, don't miss it.And, if you are going there, after you can go to Città della Pieve and to CHiusi's Etruscan museum

Cape Cod
6. Re: Cortona or Volterra

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I'll jot in my book. Many pages filled with all sorts of things. I think I'll have to sort through it and make it a bit more organized.

Cape Cod
7. Re: Cortona or Volterra

Thank you Mary. I'm definitely going to make an attempt to see Cetona.

Cape Cod
8. Re: Cortona or Volterra

I heard that there is a ramp you can use instead of the steps, and also that there is a parking garage in the town. We'll have to see what happens since it looks as though it will be Volterra.

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 13
9. Re: Cortona or Volterra

In Volterra, we parked in a small lot near the forum/teatro ruins and walked into the town on an uphill street, no stairs at all. If you take a right turn at the first street, you will come to a wonderful overview of the forum/teatro. Right there is also my favorite jewelry store;^)

TAB

Cape Cod
10. Re: Cortona or Volterra

Oh, oh - a jewelry shop. Now we're in trouble. Thanks for the parking advice.

Get answers to your questions about Cortona