We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To drive or not to drive?

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
reviews: 17
To drive or not to drive?

We're planning a trip to Tuscany, flying into Pisa, spending a week or so in the countryside, then dropping off the car to spend a few days in Florence. I'd prefer NOT to drive but am becoming resolved to the idea.... I'm a confident driver in the UK and would appreciate any observations.

1. Re: To drive or not to drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:00 pm, September 07, 2013
San Jose, California
2. Re: To drive or not to drive?

Driving in the countryside of Tuscany is no different than driving in any other countryside. It really is absolutely necessary though to have a car in Tuscany if you want to visit some of the smaller hilltowns and those villages not accessed by train and not well served by public transport.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
3. Re: To drive or not to drive?

Yes, do get a car - I don't find it at all challenging to drive in the countryside - actually, I really love the country roads. You will get so much more out of your visit.

Do read up on the ZTLs as they do exist in most Tuscan towns - but, you just need to park outside of the town and walk into them. But to enjoy the countryside - absolutely, a car.

Surrey
4. Re: To drive or not to drive?

Well thank you for the speedy responses! I will follow up your suggestions.

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
5. Re: To drive or not to drive?

Angie, it's easier than driving the country lanes in Surrey and if you can handle something like the Guildford By-pass or bits of the M25 - you'll find even the occasional busier intersections such as around Pisa / Florence an absolute synch. Most Brits I know find it easier to hire a left-hand drive car than drive their own right-hand drive. It's a bit weird at first going the "wrong" way round a roundabout but you'll soon get the hang of it. The thing about around here is that driving about is often the best part of the holiday for many visitors as it's only then that you can really explore the lovely countryside. Public transport is very poor and, besides, who wants to have their holiday dictated by a bus timetable? Watch out for the ZTLs as others have said, and hang on to all your loose change to pay for the park & displays.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 47
6. Re: To drive or not to drive?

I don't see how you can really do much with Tuscany without a car. I suppose if you do day trips out of Siena or some other major town maybe. We have done 3 Tuscany trips -- twice we rented for a week, once for two weeks in the countryside or small towns. Having a car meant being able to tour Tuscany -- it was heaven. I would base in a smaller town and get a place with parking.

Surrey
7. Re: To drive or not to drive?

Ok, I think I'm convinced! Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice, I'll let you know how it goes....

Sheboygan, WI
reviews: 75
8. Re: To drive or not to drive?

Just thought I'd share this link too. Found it helpful and referenced it multiple times while we were on the road.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/

Surrey
9. Re: To drive or not to drive?

That's such a helpful link - thank you Marytini!

10. Re: To drive or not to drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 05, 2014