We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

returning car rental to Florence airport - strategy?

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
reviews: 3
returning car rental to Florence airport - strategy?

We will be returning a car to the Florence airport rental car area. We know this can be a "find the car rental place" nightmare. Our plan was to to return the car to the rental place and then take a bus into Florence for a 3 day stay, returning to the airport for our flight home bu bus or taxi. My thought: Is it possible to just simply go to "airport arrivals" and then follow a rental car bus to the car rental area? Or do these buses take a route where passenger cars are prohibited to drive? Someone on trip advisor claims they tried this and it worked. Anyone have any thoughts of this strategy?

5 replies to this topic
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
reviews: 48
1. Re: returning car rental to Florence airport - strategy?

What agency is this? If its Hertz I have a well marked location thats not at the airport and about 10 minutes from the center

Washington DC
2. Re: returning car rental to Florence airport - strategy?

It is Hertz.

Clarification: We have been told that to return a car to the airport, one needs to take a route that is near the airport, that involves making a U-turn, going through the "circle of death" round-about and that there are few signs (if any) to help drivers find the location of car rental return.

We would not even be coming into the city itself.

We will be coming from Montecantini Terme.

I keep reading on trip advisor forums that this particular area has been under construction, thus is not well marked, etc.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
3. Re: returning car rental to Florence airport - strategy?

Well, for what its worth we picked up the car from this location below and its fairly straight forward to get to

http://goo.gl/maps/ZZ2G7

Washington DC
4. Re: returning car rental to Florence airport - strategy?

Thank you for the information. It appears that coming from Montecantini Terme, I have to go beyond the rental place (because the street is one way) and turn back to go the other way (which is one way the other way) and then turn right into the rental place.

It seems to make sense, however, I find it difficult to understand why so many people have such difficulty finding the place. Plus, with a specific address (which you provided) and a GPS, I should be fine.

Thanks again.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
5. Re: returning car rental to Florence airport - strategy?

Good luck. But just to clarify the location I provided is not in the airport but another location. If you choose it you will need to notify them

Reply to: returning car rental to Florence airport - strategy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted