We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice: driving north to south

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 8
Itinerary Advice: driving north to south

Hello--

We have five nights this summer in between when we have to be in Pisa and Naples/ Sorrento. I have so many suggestions from people that I need to prioritize. We would rather stay in at least two places than backtrack to the same base every time. Here are possibilities, but I know that we cannot (and do not want to!) do all of them: Lucca, Volterra, San Gimignano (stay in SG two nights?), Siena, Cortona (stay 1-2 nights?), Orvieto, Civita di Bagnoregio (stay 1 night?). I know not all those are in Tuscany.

We have three teenagers who do not want a fully scheduled day waiting in lines (hence our mainly going to relatively rural places rather than Rome or Florence), and we love food but are of course are trying to make this affordable.

How would you suggest segmenting our days/ nights and paring down the list to minimize time in the car but maximize experiences? If you know of foodie stops along the way, that would be a bonus. Many thanks for your advice.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
1. Re: Itinerary Advice: driving north to south

Spend a few hours in San G. Don't overnight. Overnight in Volterra. 2 nights in Siena. Cortona is a day trip. Stay in Orvieto. Civita is a day trip.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 52
2. Re: Itinerary Advice: driving north to south

I would choose Siena and Orvieto.

3. Re: Itinerary Advice: driving north to south

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 25, 2014