We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Austria
reviews: 23
Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

Dear all,

I'm planing with a friend to spent approx. 10 days in italy at the beginning of May.

We have booked already a nice little B&B in Greve in Chianti for about a week to base ourself for your day trips to Florence, Siena, probably Pisa & Lucca, and the Tuscancy countriyside around there.

We will drive our own car - as we will drive down from Vienna, Austria.

We further want to spent a couple of days at a beach - not sure about the beach area close to Pisa or Livorno - someone suggest Lake Garda.

I'm just not sure what to book - we would prefer again a B& B close to the beach, beach should be public were we could rent a beach bed and umbrella.

We would rather not go to the Adria - as we know that side already.

What would you suggest, do you have any recommendations for me?

appreciate your help very much.

thx Silvia

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
1. Re: Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

We would suggest you go to Cecina, where there's miles of sandy beach, surf with a little froth to it (i.e., waves). It's south of Livorno.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 49
2. Re: Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

Could be a little chilly still on the beach in early May! Do you know all about the ZTLs operated in all the places you plan to visit?

Vienna, Austria
3. Re: Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

dear all,

just saw - we are going first 2 weeks in June.. sorry .. guess that is me who want to be way already earlier.

Yes, thank you have been reading about them, and we'll try to take public transport to the cities, and park outside.

so should I leave out the Gardalake?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
4. Re: Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

Depends how much you are into the sea. I'd prefer time on Lake Garda than at the sea any day, but I'm not really a beach girl.

Vienna, Austria
5. Re: Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

Well waterwise i'm not so picky -just the beach should be nice.. sandy preferable and wide enough..

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
6. Re: Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

Well then Artviva's suggestion of Cecina sounds like a good one for you.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 98
7. Re: Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

Beach areas close to Pisa can be a little unsavoury in places. Livorno- good as it is, isn't that pretty. South of Livorno (Cecina) etc is a good call. Further north you have Forte dei Marmi, Viarreggio etc. nice places but very expensive. Lake Garda I find, is always Beautiful, but nowhere near Tuscany. There are lovely beachside areas in cinque terre, portovenere and Rapallo etc or you could go further round the coast to the Diano Marina area.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 98
8. Re: Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

Beach areas close to Pisa can be a little unsavoury in places. Livorno- good as it is, isn't that pretty. South of Livorno (Cecina) etc is a good call. Further north you have Forte dei Marmi, Viarreggio etc. nice places but very expensive. Lake Garda I find, is always Beautiful, but nowhere near Tuscany. There are lovely beachside areas in cinque terre, portovenere and Rapallo etc or you could go further round the coast to the Diano Marina area.

Florence, Italy
9. Re: Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

Lake Garda may be pretty, but it's not beachy!

My favorite beaches are in Maremma, the southern Tuscan coast. The Parco dell'Uccellina is absolutely gorgeous - rustic, wild with white sand beaches. OOOooo yes!!

Vienna, Austria
10. Re: Tuscany sightseeing & beachtrip

thank you all very much for your suggestions.. we have now settled on a very nice looking B&B in Massa.. Il Marenè .. will write a review when I have returned...looking forward to my vacation..