We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Tuscany...Aussies how easy is it???

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
reviews: 20
Driving in Tuscany...Aussies how easy is it???

We will be spending 6 nights in Tuscany basing ourselves in Cortona or San Gimignano. We hope to hire a car and drive to the various sites over these days exploring the area... I have read the Trip Advisor page on driving in Italy, and quite frankly, It has freaked me out a tad!

I would love to hear from Aussies or people from countries that drive on the Left as to the pros and cons of hiring a car

Where do you park when arriving in Siena or Florence, or is it better to take public transport into the larger cities?

What is the approx driving times between towns?

Reputable car hire places? Do the smaller walled towns have car hire?

Any other valuable info would be invaluable...

Castellina in...
reviews: 8
11. Re: Driving in Tuscany...Aussies how easy is it???

Here's some more for you: tuscany-vacation-rentals.net/roadsanddriving… It's not difficult in the country. Even in town you can handle the driving - the traffic cameras are your problem there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 504
12. Re: Driving in Tuscany...Aussies how easy is it???

Hi,

We have driven all over Italy numerous times & we absolutely love it !! You just don't need a car in the bigger cities like Florence or Siena.

Having a car gives you the flexibility to see more & discover the wonderful country villages scattered around the hilltops & mountains. We always use europcar when hiring in Europe & have never had a problem.

Happy planning !

Takapuna, New...
reviews: 36
13. Re: Driving in Tuscany...Aussies how easy is it???

Lot of Speed Cameras in Tuscany, especially around small villages. Use CamSam for Android or iSpeedcam for iPhone to get early warning.

melbourne
reviews: 20
14. Re: Driving in Tuscany...Aussies how easy is it???

Thank you to all of you who posted..tons of info for me to digest and investigate...I feel much more comfortable with the driving aspect now and see it as a must do in this area...

Melbourne Australia
15. Re: Driving in Tuscany...Aussies how easy is it???

Hi,

If you are staying around San Gimingano as you mentioned then you could look at picking up a car at Poggibonsi railway station or at the main bus stop at Colle Val D'Elsa. Email Marco from ABC Rentals and see what he has to offer - ABC Rentals : http://www.abc-rent.com

Poggibonsi is on the line between Siena and Florence and I have used Marco many times over the years for the nervous Aussie driver - myself included!

While your at it make yourself an info book on Tuscany based on your own interests on http://www.to-tuscany.com.au/infobook/ further links to hundreds of Tuscany activities http://www.to-tuscany.com.au/local-tuscany/

Not sure if anyone mentioned your quert re visiting Siena or Florence.

Florence I would park and hop on a train or bus in a smaller town, both will take you into the middle of Florence. You will be unsure when to hop off the bus (at least I was) stay on until it pulls up in the undercover bus terminal - the train is right next door. Siena, unless travelling on a Wednesday I would probably go by car - Wednesday is their big Market Day so parking is more difficult.

Have a fantastic trip! Linda

Mooloolaba Australia
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
reviews: 50
16. Re: Driving in Tuscany...Aussies how easy is it???

do not forget to drive around Umbria as its a lot lighter traffic wise and has simular vistas to tuscany at a quarter of the tourist volume.

What i usually warn people about driving Italiano is that it is almost a certainty that a person will want to overtake you going into a blind bend.....because he can !

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 71
17. Re: Driving in Tuscany...Aussies how easy is it???

We stayed in Florence so had no need for a car and then took the train to Siena and picked up our car as we were leaving Siena. On your way to San Giamgnano stop a Montereggioni...a very small walled town between Siena and S.G. I second the idea of going into Umbria which I though was more beautiful than Tuscany.

Enjoy!

18. Re: Driving in Tuscany...Aussies how easy is it???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 15, 2014