We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon- Northern or Southern Tuscany?

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
reviews: 5
Honeymoon- Northern or Southern Tuscany?

We are planning on spending a week of our honeymoon in Sicily and the other week in Tuscany (end of May, beginning of June). We plan on renting a car for some of the trip in Tuscany, although we have never driven in Europe. Which area of Tuscany is best for getting around? Which has the best sights? Which would be easiest to get to or from Sicily via a cheap airline (Easyjet, Ryanair, etc.)? Our trip is quickly approaching and I'm starting to panic!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 266
1. Re: Honeymoon- Northern or Southern Tuscany?

Congratulations Nancy and do not panic! Do get cracking though.

I cannot help you with access, although I would think that Southern Tuscany would be geographically better if you would fly into Rome. On the other hand, you could fly into Florence, in which case either would be geographically fine.

Southern Tuscany, the Val d'Orcia, is pretty darn gorgeous and you may catch some red poppies dotting the rolling hills. I would pick this area because I like it which may or may not be what you would like.

Google is your friend here: take a look at some on-line photos of different regions of Tuscany and see what knocks your socks off.

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 5
2. Re: Honeymoon- Northern or Southern Tuscany?

It's hard because it all looks so beautiful!! We will flying with Condor so we will either fly into Rome or into Frankfurt with a cheap connection wherever we choose.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 49
3. Re: Honeymoon- Northern or Southern Tuscany?

From Rome you can easily drive to southern Tuscany, which is the most beautiful part of Tuscany, in my opinion.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
4. Re: Honeymoon- Northern or Southern Tuscany?

For a great Tuscan experience, stay at an agriturismo. This one is lovely and very central to explore Tuscany from.

http://www.foresteria.it/eng/index.html

Val d'Orcia is indeed gorgeous...Montepulciano is a great base there.....

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
reviews: 25
5. Re: Honeymoon- Northern or Southern Tuscany?

Nancy,

This will give you some ideas for southern Tuscany slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

London
reviews: 2
6. Re: Honeymoon- Northern or Southern Tuscany?

If your looking at getting to Tuscany with a bargain Airline then there is only one choice and that is flying into Pisa. All the low cost airlines fly there from all over Europe.

Both Ryanair and Easyjet fly there.

If it seems that your looking at budgeting in the same light as choosing the budget airline then the Lucca area of Tuscany could be an excellent choice .With it only being 30 minutes from Pisa Airport, by using the motorway, your also going to save on time getting to your location after a long trip.

It provides on average a 30% saving for like for like properties when compared to the south of Tuscany.

You can se this even by checking out tripadvisor, and comparing property prices.

Some fans here prefer The South others the North.Each one is different each one has its advantages.

You can still get to Florence on the train from Lucca and you can have a long day trip to Siena and get back home taking advantage of the cheaper dinner deals as well. 10 Euro lunch deals around Lucca are quite common. You've also got the Tuscan Riviera 30 minutes away by train from Lucca.Which honeymoon is not complete with a day by the beach eh?

Where ever you decide to go I'd like to wish you congratulations

Regards

John

Castellina in...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Honeymoon- Northern or Southern Tuscany?

All of Tuscany is more or less the same when it comes to getting around by car - not that easy near big cities and a breeze out in the country. There are also beautiful sights everywhere. The most popular areas are Chianti and the Val d'Orcia. You'll get some ideas for those from http://www.bella-toscana.com and http://www.valdorcia-info.com/

Regarding flights, possible airports are Pisa, Florence, Bologna and Forli'. If direct flights are a problem, don't forget you can fly from Sicily to Naples and take the Frecciarossa from there to Florence (4 hours for as little as 29 euros.)

8. Re: Honeymoon- Northern or Southern Tuscany?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 31, 2014