We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Certaldo and Greve in Chianti

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
reviews: 1
Certaldo and Greve in Chianti

Hi all,

We have never been to Italy. We're trying to organise a relaxing, out-of-the-way stay in a town for approx 4 nights, with the idea of doing a day trip to Florence, Pisa and Sienna. We have found a place in Greve, but are concerned that it is too far out of the way, although a bus apparently runs to Florence. My partner since found another place in Certaldo, he is more keen on staying here because of it's proximity to the train station. If anyone could share some experiences with day trips from Greve using public transport and the ease of such a venture I would be very grateful. I am concerned that Certaldo (although beautiful) is less countryside than Greve and I perhaps will not see rolling hills? Am I correct in that assumption? Many many thanks for your time and patience in replying!

Florence, Italy
1. Re: Certaldo and Greve in Chianti

Hi Faye L,

Is the Certaldo hotel in Certaldo "Alto" or in Certaldo "Basso"? Makes all the difference! Certaldo Alto is the beautifully preserved medieval hilltop village, home of Giovanni Boccaccio, and offers great views of the surrounding countryside, including those obligatory (and rightly so!) Tuscan hills. Certaldo Basso, as the name suggests, at the bottom of the hill, is a busy and rather ugly industrial town. There's a funicular cable car that runs between the two, making access to the upper town easy.

Is your Greve option in the village itself or is it in the surrounding countryside? Makes all the difference! The bus to Florence runs on the Ss222 Chiantigiana road, which passes through the village. There are few b&b's directly on or very near the road. Le Corti is the only one that immediately springs to mind. Others are in the restored villas and castles that, while being panoramically situated on the hilltops, are a major shlep to the main road. Greve is in a valley, so don't expect to find any sweeping Tuscan views from there, although the town itself is lively - more so than Certaldo.

I hope all of this hasn't added more confusion to your dilemma. At least now you have the lay of the land to help you make a decision!

Canberra, Australia
2. Re: Certaldo and Greve in Chianti

Eugene,

Thank you so much! Your reply has been so very very helpful! Currently re-pouring over websites, maps and accommodation short lists. I had no idea about Certaldo Alto and Basso. The farmstay in Greve was about 1km from the town and reported up a hill. Looking forward to either of the options, but it is really helpful to know a little more about the places. Thanks again for your help!

Would you say day trips from Greve, jumping on and off the bus into Florence fairly straight forward?

Thanks again!

Castellina in...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Certaldo and Greve in Chianti

The bus from Greve to Florence is extremely convenient (and comfortable). It runs right into the centre of Florence so you have no problems there.

http://www.greve-in-chianti.com

http://www.certaldo-info.com

Toowoomba, Australia
4. Re: Certaldo and Greve in Chianti

We stayed for a week in a holiday rental in Montefioralle on the edge of Greve. We caught the bus from Greve into Florence without any difficulty. We had a car so cannot offer advice for other day trips by public transport. But did enjoy our stay in this lovely area which is very scenic. Although for that typical ' Tuscan' scene with the rows of trees, the villa, the road etc you may need to go further south

Canberra, Australia
5. Re: Certaldo and Greve in Chianti

Thank you Tuscan and Phirhon for your replies :) We have booked the place in Greve and are more than excited :) How could I have gone wrong - anywhere in Italy will be an excellent adventure! Grazie!

manchester
reviews: 14
6. Re: Certaldo and Greve in Chianti

We love Greve, have been many times but always had a car, we have found it a good location for exploring Florence and sienna, la cantina just out of the square is great for a pizza and beer!

7. Re: Certaldo and Greve in Chianti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 12, 2014