We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 night stay in Tuscany, where to stay and why?

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 8
3 night stay in Tuscany, where to stay and why?

We have 3 nights planned for Tuscany on our Italy trip for April. What city or area would be the best one to stay in and explore from there. We have not decided on whether we will rent a car yet.

Steve and Annette

South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: 3 night stay in Tuscany, where to stay and why?

Lucca, because it is beautiful

www.discovertuscany.com

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
2. Re: 3 night stay in Tuscany, where to stay and why?

It makes a HUGE difference if you have a car or not...Tuscany is best explored by car and any recommendations that might be made, would be predicated on that.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
3. Re: 3 night stay in Tuscany, where to stay and why?

Southern Tuscany/Val d'Orcia because it is breathtaking. But, you will not get to enjoy it if you do not rent a car. ;)

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
4. Re: 3 night stay in Tuscany, where to stay and why?

For me it would be somewhere around Castelnuovo Berardenga as from here you can easily reach Siena / the southern Chianti (ie the most beautiful part), and the Val d'Orcia. It's fair to say that 3 nights isn't anywhere near enough time to see that much of Tuscany (even with 3 weeks you'd merely scratch the surface) so perhaps read up well in advance, identify the places that take your fancy and plan it from there. You will need a car though if you want to see the smaller towns and countryside.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
5. Re: 3 night stay in Tuscany, where to stay and why?

My choice would be Montepulciano or Montalcino. They are large enough to have plenty of shops and restaurants, yet small enough that parking is not a major problem.

bournemouth
reviews: 52
6. Re: 3 night stay in Tuscany, where to stay and why?

The thing is everyone is different so do you like bigger towns with lots to see or the smaller villages. We have been to tuscany for the past 5 years and my favorite part is south of sienna. Have found some lovely villages etc on our travels..Siena suprisingly was not one of my favourite places, although the catherdral is amazing, but I adore florence. Can tell you some of the best places in this area that we liked if you are interested. You would have to have a car for this area though. Lucca is lovely and you can get there easily by train but I think you would be better to explore the countryside as with a car you could cover a lot in three days.

By the way where are you flying into?

Edited: 4:16 am, January 07, 2013
Florence, Italy
7. Re: 3 night stay in Tuscany, where to stay and why?

Three days is not a lot, as everyone has said and I'm sure you realize. Since you did ask about a town or city to stay in, I recommend *the* Tuscan city, Florence. With only three days and an apparent yen to see more of the region, you'll only be able to give the city a day, which is a crime but you can think of it as a first nibble. The other days, you can take a bus to Siena and a train to Pisa and Lucca. This will give you the opportunity to visit interesting places and enjoy some scenery without needing a car.

8. Re: 3 night stay in Tuscany, where to stay and why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 09, 2014