We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 32
Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

Are there car rental agencies in or very nearby the Chiusi train station? We'll need a rental company that can accommodate an automatic car. Thanks in advance.

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 3
11. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

The nearest car hire place to Chiusi station is the local firm Aesse directly across the street. http://www.aesserent.it/

Hertz is currently based in the Bacci Motors office just down the street (turn right out of station and you’ll see it 30m down street on the left), they have a small Hertz sign displayed but it’s not always readily visible. For the last few years, Europcar has been based in a small garage about 10/15 mins walk from the station and previous posters have commented that it’s not easy to reach with luggage. Avis is based at the Fiat garage in nearby Po Bandino, it’s about 15 mins walk with luggage but they’ll come and meet you at the station. However, in the dire economic climate that we're currently experiencing here, a growing number of businesses are moving location to benefit from more attractive rents so where they are today, may not necessarily be where they are next month or next summer. Note also, none of these places are open Sunday, few on Saturday afternoon and most take long lunch breaks (1 to 3.30 / 4.30 in summer) so plan your pick-up carefully.

Automatics are a challenge to find in this area and sometimes cannot always be guaranteed. (People tell me it's sometimes easier to hire a vehicle like this from an airport where there's a bigger range / turn over.) Gas is currently around Euros 1.85 a litre but last summer it hit Euros 2 making touring quite expensive for those hiring large vehicles or non-stick shift.

San Diego...
reviews: 5
12. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

I now require an automatic because my left knee can no longer stand the stress of using the clutch repeatedly. On my last trip to Italy, October 2011, I did notice because I was looking, that many of the older taxi drivers in Rome are now driving cars with automatic transmissions. I have found that renting from the larger rental offices, such as the Termini Station. has a large selection of automatic transmission cars available.

Edited: 2:12 am, January 06, 2013
Chicago
reviews: 32
13. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

I appreciate the information everyone.

I have absolutely no desire to learn how to drive manual for a 9 day trip (only 5 of which we'll be spending with a rental car).

Is there a better (larger station w/more options) option for us if we're leaving by train north of Rome but south of Montepulciano?

While we don't have an unlimited budget I'm more than happy to pay for to get an automatic transmission from a location that is easy to pick up and return the auto from on our way to and from Rome.

Thank you again!

San Diego...
reviews: 5
14. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

Consider Rome's Termini Station location. It is not that hard to enter or exit. The location is well away from any ZTL's, via Tiburtina can be used to access Hiway A1 at Rome East for either south to Naples or north to Tuscany. I have done it at least five times.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 55
15. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

One of the airports will be your best bet, but before you go down that route you could contact the people at Aesse that Lastraniera mentioned. They are a local firm in Chiusi and reports on this forum always say they are extremely helpful so they might be able to guarantee that you can have an automatic.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 343
16. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

Again, I would do nothing more then reserve via AutoEurope and specify automatic. There should be a car waiting for you in Chiusi. So far, we never had a problem.

New York City, New...
reviews: 9
17. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

How many times have you made that reservation Anna-Roz? It is really not uncommon for an automatic to not be available regardless of booking.

The airports are probably your best chance - Rome or Florence - if you absolutely need the automatic.

Given the promises I have had made to me here by the major car rental companies (Budget, Hertz, etc) and have then be told (even at airports) "sorry, we don't have the type of car you wanted" - I would definitely go for the better possibilities.

Someone may have had a good experience a few times in one place of Chiusi is a small town - again, I drive a manual so I don't care - but, I have heard so many complaints of problems that I think it is important to know this is a potential problem. I do hope not, of course but it sounds like this would be real roadblock for you if only manuals were available.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 343
18. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

MomCat, sounds as if not as many times as you have, but we have not had a problem yet. So for me to warn the OP of something I did not personally experience feels silly. Granted, it would not make a huge difference to us since husband drives a stick shift (having driven a tank in two wars and these do not come with an automatic transmission), but categorically refuses to drive one in Europe. I read complaints of people about their experience with car rental outfits, although I do not recall reading about an automatic not being available. These are usually complaints about being given a larger car (we had that happen a few times) or having been charged for damage that they did not incur. I will not deny that it could happen and that an airport (extra change for a pick up) or a train station in a larger town would have more cars available to pick from. I am o.k. with having a confirmation in my hand from AutoEurope that I reserved and paid for an automatic.

Edited: 10:18 pm, January 06, 2013
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 55
19. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

In the small print for autoeurope rentals they do state that the car you requested may not be available and that they will then offer a suitable substitute. I had the opposite problem just last year inn the Pyrenees with them - wanted a manual, but they only had an automatic which was not up to the job in the mountains. Therefore my suggestion would still be to check with the people at Aesse first. As a small local firm they are more likely to be able to tell you for certain if you can have an automatic or not. If they can't guarantee it then an airport rental from one of the big firms will be the OPs best bet to get an automatic. If they rent through autoeurope then the prices for picking up from the airport are likely to be less than picking up at Chiusi anyway (this was my experience of our group picking up cars at Pisa airport and Chiusi in summer 2010).

20. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 09, 2014