We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 29
Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

Are there car rental agencies in or very nearby the Chiusi train station? We'll need a rental company that can accommodate an automatic car. Thanks in advance.

South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

You can check www.auto-europe.com www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html

Los Angeles...
reviews: 266
2. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

yo, I suggest that you arrange for the rental car while in the States and prior to leaving for Italy. As noted by Nurioopta above, contact AutoEurope by phone, not just via the website, and tell them when you want to rent the car and where, and that you want to have an automatic (25% more but is worth it, IMO), then where and when you want to return it, and they will give you a quote. Ask for any applicable discounts and reserve. You can make as many changes as you want, even cancel the deal, and there will be no penalty and no charge. AutoEurope (an American broker in Maine) will secure the best deal with a local rental outfit.

I know that Europcar is right accross the street from the train station (we returned a car there some years ago), so you exit the train station and roll your luggage along. I know that there are other outfits also, possibly Hertz.

The advantages of renting via AutoEurope are that you will prepay in $$ in the US and, should something unfortunate happen, you will be dealing via an American company and English speakers.

We rent a car through AutoEurope whenever we travel in Europe and could not be happier with the service.

St. Marys, OH
reviews: 10
3. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

Hertz office is about 60 yards down the street from the train station and they also handle a lot of AutoEurope rentals.

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 16
4. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

We rented a car from Hertz which is across from the train station about a block. I don't know about automatic though.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 11
5. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

I have used AutoEurope as well and have had no problems. I have heard and read that even though you might request an automatic, especially in the smaller towns' car rental offices, you may not get it and that there is a better chance of getting one at an airport. I drive a manual and prefer it so don't have a personal experience re: the automatic but I have heard about this quite a lot.

See if AutoEurope will confirm the automatic.

Oh, and don't forget to get an International Drivers Permit (IDP) which is legally required while there, you can get it at AAA, costs about $20 and requires a passport style photo.

Chicago
6. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

Thanks everyone this is fantastic advice. Neither of us drive stick (manual) so an automatic car is a must. Will give auto-Europe a call on Monday, as well as Hertz!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
7. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

The problem with automatics is that, in general, Italians drive manuals and so the car rental companies do not have many automatics. If another renter is late returning an automatic, or damages one, there may not be an alternative car available.

Chicago
8. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

Anyone else seen the episode of Seinfeld with the car rental "reservation"? I'm getting flashbacks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
9. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

Could be a good time to learn to drive a manual - they usually get better gas mileage and it's not hard to do. I prefer it - I actually feel more like I'm really driving than just sort of cruising along. You might like it....

Latina, Italy
10. Re: Chiusi Train Station...car rental outfits nearby?

Rental companies may have automatics strictly for tourists. It is very very rare for an Italian to drive an automatic. It's not hard to drive a manual so I don't see that an automatic should be an absolute "must". And with the windy, narrow, and hilly roads in Tuscany a manual would be more manageable in my opinion.