We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay to use as a base

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Place to stay to use as a base

My wife and i are traveling Through Italy this April. Rome, Cinque Terre, Tuscany, Verona, Venice. I am having trouble picking a place in Tuscany to use as a base to see the area as i don't know the area and have never been to Italy before. The rest of the trip is booked. We will have a car that we will be driving from La Spezia to where we will stay for 4 nights. Right now i am looking South of Florence and North of Sienna but dont know roads or access to get to say San Gimignano, Assisi,wine tours, etc. I am also hoping to do a wine tour of Tenuta Tignanello but cant find anything on tours there.

Borgo Petrognano is a place i am leaning to wards to stay.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.$100- $200/night

Thanks

Paul

Florence, Italy
1. Re: Place to stay to use as a base

I'm not familiar, personally, with Borgo Petrognano, but I do know the area well and I think it's a great choice as a base. From there, you have easy access to Chianti, S. Gimignano, Certaldo, Colle Val d'Elsa, Monteriggioni, Volterra and of course, Florence and Siena. Beyond Siena, Montalcino and the Val d'Orcia, Pienza, Montepulciano are within easy reach.

You should be aware, though, that Assisi is in Umbria, not Tuscany. It's rather far from the area you're considering - definitely doable as a day trip, but it'll be a full day.

Tenuta Tignanello is near Montefiridolfi, very close to Borgo Petrognano. You can drive through the vineyards. Antinori's brand new superduper ultra futuristic cellars recently opened in Bargino, just down the road from Tignanello. Guided tours of the cellars are available. The Antinori family's been making wine for 26 generations. They produce somewhere between 1.6 and 20 million bottles of wine a year (nobody knows for sure, and this is a subject that raises some eyebrows) so what you will witness is winemaking in a huge industrial scale. While you're in the area, please be sure to visit some small hands-on traditional wineries to get a flavor for how the stuff is made by "real" people, and maybe even learn something about the very long history and tradition of the region's most important products: wine and olive oil.

But first, before you do anything else - get yourself a good map and study it!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
2. Re: Place to stay to use as a base

Hey Paul...this agriturismo fits your criteria... 40 kms north of Siena and about 70 kms south of Florence.

http://www.foresteria.it/eng/index.php

We loved staying here and we found it a perfect base to explore Tuscany...the owners are tremendously helpful and will gladly help you plan your day trips and make reservations as needed...

We stayed in the "Il Granaio" suite and it was perfect.

David

3. Re: Place to stay to use as a base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 01, 2014