We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation Headache!

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 16
Accommodation Headache!

We are a party of 12 people wishing to travel and experience Tuscany late September 2013 for 10-14 days.We will need a 7 bedroom villa. I originally thought of staying in a town (Cortina) near a railway line so we could use trains and buses to travel around. This seems to be very limiting as it is hard to work out how far villas are from the actual towns. After reading the forums it would seem we would not some cars at least for some of the days.

Any suggestions on where we could base ourselves? I like the idea of being able to walk into a town for meals etc. Is that possible?

Any help would be appreciated

CA
reviews: 25
1. Re: Accommodation Headache!

Hello,

We stayed at a fantastic B&B right outside of Florence.....La Martellina in Il Girone. It is well reviewed here on TA, and I completely agree. It is on the banks of the Arno River, and I believe it has 4 bedrooms, possibly enough for 12 people. Claudio the owner prepares wonderful breakfasts, and even has bicycles for a ride into Florence proper. We took the city bus in and out of Florence very frequently, with no problem at all. As far as using this as a base, you could possibly take the city bus directly to the main train station, from where you can take the train or a regional bus to other cities. This place might not fit all of your needs, but it is certainly well placed, and a genuine home to come to after a day of touring, making it worth your consideration.

South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: Accommodation Headache!

You could checkout what www.vrbo.com have to offer

www.discovertuscany.com

Car rental www.autoeurope.com.au

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

You will require an International Driving Permit for Italy, and read Top Questions to the right "Driving in Tuscany" to inform on traffic restrictions and ZTL areas.

Local buses www.trainspa.it

www.busfox.com/timetable

Trains www.trentitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
3. Re: Accommodation Headache!

tripadvisor.com/…44800634

Someone asked something similar recently and I replied with a recommendation (see link above that will take you to the conversation). There must have been six couples (right Joni?) who rented this place and their initial plan was only to hire maybe one car as there is some public transport in Sarteano including a bus to Chiusi station (15 mins away). But once they'd arrived they had a change of heart and rented more vehicles for you really do need a car in southern Tuscany, irrespective of where you stay. Something I didn't mention on my earlier post is that one of the restaurants just a few yards from the palazzo they rented offered informal cooking classes to the group where they even learnt to make pici. That's the joy of staying in a small, less well-known village such as this one, it's an altogether far more authentic experience. (And it's a world away in atmosphere from Cortona in summer and far less crowded.)

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
4. Re: Accommodation Headache!

I really think you will need to have rental cars. Many, many people look for villas that are within walking distance of a town or village, but there are few that are and even if it seems walkable on paper when you get there you may discover it is not practical. The route is often steep, perhaps involving a dirt track at some point. There is unlikely to be a pavement or street lighting making walking home after a meal unsafe at night.

I frequently holiday in summer with a large group and find that trips to the supermarket need to be taken nearly every day for something or other and lots of shopping is required. You need a car to transport it all.

Being near a train station is most useful for day tripping to cities. However getting to smalller towns and villages is frequently either not possible or you arrive and find that the station is some distance from your destination and you need to wait for a bus to take you there. Local bus services serve the local community's needs and so run mainly to fit with school and work day times. You will find yourself seriously constrained in where you can go and when if you rely on public transport.

Edited: 3:52 am, December 07, 2012
5. Re: Accommodation Headache!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, December 17, 2013