We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brockville, Canada
reviews: 23
Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

Hello. We are spending 3-4 days touring through the region and we would like to know what town is the best place to call home. We are expecting to visit some wineries, tour local shops, and maybe take in some open markets. We will have a car if need be and may hire a driver for the day we tour the wineries. I think we would like to stay somewhere countryside but are not opposed to settling down in a larger city. Any help would be appreciated.

north carolina
reviews: 108
1. Re: Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

There are to many great choices. Remember, Tuscany is not large.

I think it is great to look for a short-term home, but what do you want in this place?

almost anywhere south or West of Florence gives you immense opportunities to visit interesting places, and the driving is generally easy, away from Florence.

Consider:

Siena - has probably the most art, architecture, history to offer of the Tuscan towns outside of Florence. Good central location, and you would feel fine if you just stay there most of four days without going on the road very often.

OR: Val d'Orcia...perhaps Pienza or Chiusi...this is the area of the most breathtaking scenery and photo-ops. Many nice small towns close by.

OR: Chianti, perhaps Castellina or the smaller, less touristed (less shopping) Greve in Chianti. But from Greve you could easily drive to Siena for a day, in fact you would want to do that. That drive is perhaps 60 minutes. Chianti also offers fabulous scenery, but it is considerably more hilly than Val d'Orcia, so it is a different kind of scenery.

And anywhere you go in Tuscany, there will be many fabulous wineries within a short drive. That part hardly requires any planning unless you have some particular type or brand of wine to pursue.

indeed, you have a world of wonderful choices. Get into some guide books. you can hardly go wrong.

Edited: 3:09 pm, December 05, 2012
2. Re: Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, December 07, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
3. Re: Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

We stayed in this agriturismo and loved it...

It is close to Siena, Cortona and Arrezzo.

http://www.foresteria.it/eng/index.php

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
reviews: 25
4. Re: Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

newbie,

I think Tuscany is too big to see from one place. I suggest you look at a map and mark places you would like to visit then pick a place in the middle of most of your likes. I like southern Tuscany, the Val d'Orcia, which is the postcard and calendar views most of us have seen. This will give you some ideas slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
5. Re: Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

I agree, with only 3-4 days you only have time to see a few places. You mention visiting wineries, so the obvious spots are Chianti or the Val d'Orcia. In Chianti, Castellina and Radda make nice bases (Greve is nice too, but is not a hilltown). In the Val d'Orcia, there are many lovely towns and villages, it really depends on the number of sights and facilities you want your base to have. If you wanted to try to visit both areas then Siena makes a good base. You will need a car to stay in any of these places and day trip to surrounding towns and villages.

Philadelphia
reviews: 37
6. Re: Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

We found Greve to be a good base but also moved around to San Gimignano and Montepulciano. In general, driving between towns is quite convenient.

In case it's helpful to you, we have a lot of information about the various towns we stayed in and visited here: www.traveladdicts.net/search/label/Italy

north carolina
reviews: 108
7. Re: Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

Excuse me. I made a huge error in my earlier response. I did not mean to recommend Greve, I would never recommend Greve. I meant to say Gaiole in Chianti, which is a delightful, small town, perhaps 60 minutes drive from Siena.

Castellina in...
reviews: 8
8. Re: Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

This website might help you: http://www.chiantitravelguide.com/ It's quite new so not comprehensive but it does have a lot of unusual information and some great photos. They seem to be adding posts regularly.

Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 8
9. Re: Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

We stayed about 20 km north east of Siena at a villa called Borgo Argenina. We were in Tuscany for 9 days and did day trips to the different towns and wineries. If you only have 3 or 4 days I would decide which part of Tuscany you would like to see and stay within that area. I would rather see a small part of the area and relax and enjoy the ambience as apposed to running around and seeing lots. A favourite part of our day was returning late afternoon to our B&B with some cheese, bread and a bottle of wine and enjoy the view of the vineyards from the terrace.

Brockville, Canada
reviews: 23
10. Re: Where to stay while touring the Tuscany region

I think we have decided to settle in Florence. That way we can do day trips to some wineries, take the train to Lucca/Pisa, and spend a day in Florence at a cooking school, etc. We will hire a driver to do the Chianti region. If anyone has any suggestions for some B&B's, that would be outstanding.