We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay in Tuscany?

Which Tuscany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 4
Places to stay in Tuscany?

My husband and I are in the early planning stages of our next trip to Italy and need some help.....We previously stayed just outside of Cortona (which we loved) and visted Pienza, Assisi, Montepulciano & Montalcino. This time we would like to visit Lucca, Pisa, Sienna and other hill towns in that area. We will be coming from Cinque Terre and hopefully picking up a car in La Spezia (unless anyone has any other ideas regarding car rentals). We are planning on spending about 4 nights in here so that we don't have to keep moving around. Does anyone have any suggestions for towns and/or places to stay before we drop off the car and take the train back to Rome? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 5
1. Re: Places to stay in Tuscany?

We stayed in a great place about 25 minutes from Siena. It was called Casa Cornacchi. Check out the website www.cornacchi.com

We took the cooking class there and it was great. The food there in the family style restaurant was excellent. The staff was so helpful and kind!! We can't wait to return there!

Plymouth, New...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Places to stay in Tuscany?

Alohamom

Basing yourself in either Volterra or Lucca might be a good choice. About an hour to each town you mentioned - Siena, Lucca and Pisa - slightly longer to Lucca. (I assume you've been to Florence - also just about 1 hr from Volterra.

Volterra itself is a delightful hill town surrounded by awesome scenery and close to other lesser known hill towns (also S.Gimingnano - most touristed but still lovely hill town in tuscany I think other than Siena ...) Wonderful Etruscan museum there as well.

Lucca has many fans on this forum with more experience than I have had - but we loved our two visits there a couple of years ago.. Seems to be lots of things to do there within easy access from accommodaions. A little far from Siena for day trips however - especially if you want to enjoy a dinner and evening stroll thru this beautiful little city. But ask for ledgind ideas here and you're apt to get good responses.

For accomodation suggestions near Volterra we have used Toscana Sempre 4 times for bookings with excellent results. Their website is a bit difficult to navigate but you can see pix and prices on the link below and then contact Stefania direcly for suggestions (contact info oin the site). She and her team are vey reliable, picky about the lodging they suggest (give them your requirements) and very reasonably priced.

http://www.toscanasempre.com/struttura_en.asp

Buona fortuna e buon viaggio!

Plymouth, New...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Places to stay in Tuscany?

Alohamom

Quick correction / explantion re: my last post which was a bit confusing re: distances. Volterra is about approx. 50 min to Siena, 45 min to Pisa and a bit over and hour to Lucca. Lucca is close to Pisa (1/2 hr) and a little over an hr to Siena.

You can return the car in Lucca and train to Pisa and on to Rome. Or drive to Pisa and train to Rome. Or even drive to Florence for train to Rome. All three places have car rentals - Pisa, Lucca and Florence. Pisa may be best from both Volterra and Lucca. a little research can give you the best drop off rates.

Hope this helps.

California
reviews: 40
4. Re: Places to stay in Tuscany?

I have a recommendation for a WONDERFUL agriturismo in Siena (just 10 min from the city walls) & then you can return your rental car in Siena. It is the Agriturismo Marciano. Hospitality is great (homemade dinners are to die for) & the rooms are very clean and comfortable. It was the best experience of our recent vacation in Italy. It was very relaxing; we stayed there 4 nights but could have easily stayed longer. Breakfast is included in the rate & it is served around the farmhouse table and it was a really nice spread. We also enjoyed getting to meet and eat with the other guests there. I think Siena is a good base for many of the hill towns (Volterra, Lucca, Pisa, San Gimignano, etc.) Happy travels.

pisa
reviews: 8
5. Re: Places to stay in Tuscany?

i think your idea is ok: you already visited the south of tuscany, now the north...

so, pisa and lucca are very close each other (20minutes by car or train).

north to lucca there is the "garfagnana", an area with mountains and small towns, very beautiful.

20minutes from lucca/pisa there is the beach. do you prefere a crowded beach with lot of people? there are viareggio and forte dei marmi...

if you prefere a sandy beach inside a natural park, there is marina di vecchiano (www.marinadivecchiano.com)

from pisa or lucca you may reach by train florence and other towns, but the best way is travelling by car...

do you prefere to stay inside the pisa or lucca walls or in a village?

let us know...

silvia

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 52
6. Re: Places to stay in Tuscany?

It sounds like Lucca area might be a good base for you, but just to be clear Lucca is not a hilltop town, but is down in a river basin. Nevertheless it is very charming and has good access to Florence, Pisa, the coast and the beautiful mountainous area the Garfagnana, to the north.

Just be careful where you take your car. You can't take a car within the walls of Lucca, also Siena, Florence and Pisa have restricted zones that are easy to stray into, but without a resident's permit, you will end up getting a fine through the post months later.

Manchester, United...
7. Re: Places to stay in Tuscany?

Sounds like Lucca is winning the day. If your looking for hill towns and villages in the Lucca area you could do with looking at the Val di Lima where Bagni di Lucca is.

Close to La Spezia and cinque terre and alot cheaper than any southern Tuscany like for like place.

Whats your budget, for how long and when would you want to go?

Best Regards

Dr l

8. Re: Places to stay in Tuscany?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 02, 2010