We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - basic questions

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Where to stay - basic questions

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are planning to spend a couple of nights in Taormina early in July and are keen to get some advice on the following:

1. - Stay near the beach vs. near downtown Taormina: We are debating whether staying in hotels / B&B's very close to the beach is worth vs. staying in the upper region near downtown. Ideally we'd be relaxing on the beach throughout the day and would look for some nice places to eat during the evening - not sure in which part of town we have more chances to find that

2. - Hotel recommendations (I've researched the forum and read some reviews but haven't got something conclusive yet): We are not that keen on staying in resorts hence we are looking more for a good value for money hotel, with a good view to the sea and clean, comfortable rooms and conveniently located to maximise our time at Taormina. A pool would be a plus though not essential in choosing a location - We would welcome any pointers to good places you may know of.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: Where to stay - basic questions

Welcome to Sicily Salvador V!

You would find many more accommodations and restaurants up in Taormina than in Mazzarò, as well as more convenient transport options and views of Etna and the sea.

If you were to stay along the coast, you could purchase funivia tickets in bulk to go up to town for dinner.

First decide your location and setting, and then decide your hotel.

Panoramic Hotel is a good option in Mazzarò.

Hotel Taodomus is lovely and a good value in Taormina, also Villa Schuler.

Because of the hill town landscape, not too many hotels in Taormina have pools - Villa Carlotta, The Ashbee Park Hotel, Hotel Imperiale, Metropole Taormina Maison D’Hôtes, Villa Belvedere, Grand Hotel Timeo, Hotel Sirius, Grand Hotel San Pietro, Grande Albergo Monte Tauro, Ariston, Excelsior Palace Hotel, Villa Riis, Hotel Diodoro, Grand Hotel Miramare, Hotel Méditerranée, Andromaco Palace Hotel, and Villa Angela and Hotel Soleado above town or Villa Sant'Andrea, Panoramic Hotel, and Villa Sirina below town.

Vagabonda

Imperia, Italy
2. Re: Where to stay - basic questions

I will second Hotel Taodomus in Taormina. I found a shockingly good rate for them at hotels.com and the staff there was unbelievably nice and helpful. Very nice, clean hotel in the center of town.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: Where to stay - basic questions

The views are beautiful from the roof terrace and Hotel Taodomus is so conveniently located directly on Corso Umberto near Porta Catania - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187892-d656715…

Vagabonda

London
reviews: 4
4. Re: Where to stay - basic questions

Hi there. Where did you end up staying in Taormina? I am trying to decide between Villa Carlota, Hotel Metropole and the Ashbee, but really not sure which to pick!

London
reviews: 4
5. Re: Where to stay - basic questions

Hi there. Where did you end up staying in Taormina? I am trying to decide between Villa Carlota, Hotel Metropole and the Ashbee, but really not sure which to pick!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: Where to stay - basic questions

First decide your location and then consider the hotel.

Villa Carlotta is a 10-minute walk below Corso Umberto, Metropole Maison D'Hôtes is located directly in Taormina's historic centre on Corso Umberto, and The Ashbee Hotel is a 5-minute walk to Taormina's Porta Messina.

Perhaps read the reviews to determine which hotel most appeals.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187892-Taormina_Prov…

Vagabonda

7. Re: Where to stay - basic questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 25, 2014