We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 stop flights

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sutton in Ashfield...
1 stop flights

I have been looking at some alitalia flights to Taormina(Catania) and have found some cheap ones which fly to Milan and then onto catania. I have never done one of these flights before and was worried because there is only a 45 minute gap between landing at Milan and taking off again to Catania. Do they guarantee that you catch your adjoining flight because surely you have to change planes and what with waiting for luggage etc, it doesn't seem long. Is hold baggage free on Alitalia flights and if so, how much weight are you allowed. Thanks for any info.

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: 1 stop flights

I'm wondering about the same issue because I have a flight from Toronto to Rome and and then only a hour and 15 minutes before moving onto Cantania. I will, however, have only carry-on baggage so at least I don't have to wait for my bags. I am concerned about going through customs, etc.

2. Re: 1 stop flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, February 22, 2013
Sicily, Italy
Destination Expert
for Messina
reviews: 177
3. Re: 1 stop flights

Nigel, is it with the same airline?

Sutton in Ashfield...
4. Re: 1 stop flights

yes

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: 1 stop flights

More importantly, are the two legs booked on one ticket, one itinerary, or separate tickets?

If booked on one ticket, your luggage would go straight-through to Catania, but with so little time for the connection, there is a risk that your luggage won’t be put on your connecting flight in time.

Sometimes, even if you make a short connection, your luggage may be on the next flight.

ALL ABOUT YOUR BAGGAGE:

alitalia.com/GB_EN/…index.aspx

If you were to miss the connection, the airline would out you on the next departing flight if booked on one itinerary.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: 1 stop flights

You would go through customs (goods) at your final destination (Catania)1961tbird.

Have you booked separate tickets, or is it one itinerary?

Vagabonda

Bury St. Edmunds...
reviews: 3
7. Re: 1 stop flights

I have a similar situation with flights from Heathrow to Palermo, via Milan. I have been assured that all should be in order, providing the first flight is not delayed! I did this last year when travelling form the UK to Seville via Madrid and it all went seamlessly. I have a 'gap' of 1 hour 15 going out and 1 hour 5 coming home. I made sure that I did not get the last flight, so if the were delays I could still travel on the same day without sleeping in the airport (getting too old to do that now!)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
8. Re: 1 stop flights

If booked on one itinerary, the airline determines the legal connection time, and if your flight were delayed at your first destination point, the airline would simply put you on the next departing flight, and your luggage would continue straight through to your final destination.

And flying earlier in the day offers more options for catching later flights in case your flight is delayed.

Vagabonda

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 2
9. Re: 1 stop flights

Vagabonda --- many thanks for your contribution(s). I have already read several of your threads and have gathered much information.

Thankfully, I am booked on one itinerary (Alitalia) from Toronto to Rome then to Catania.

And also thanks for the Alitalia link on their baggage policy. Here in Canada one is allowed 2 carry ons (purse/backpack + small piece of luggage) but it appears at first blush that Alitalia only allows one carry on so it appears I will be checking my small luggage. No matter. It's just easier to have all carry one but not a major issue if Alitalia disallows it.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
10. Re: 1 stop flights

Prego 1961tbird – My pleasure....

The Alitalia baggage website is not very clear about a personal bag as well as hand baggage, but it’s fine - tripadvisor.com/…32992809

Vagabonda