We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wow factor hotel??

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 17
wow factor hotel??

Hi Everyone!!

Its our first trip to sicily in june! Hubby and I are looking for a hotel thats really special! not afraid to splurge a bit for it but we just want to make sure we get the right one.. been looking on here but thought i might ask around too as you never know what people know ! :)

We have decided on taormina and would love something that is unique with real wow factor.. something very sicilian style and not too far out so its easy to get to all attractions ect

Thanks heaps! :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: wow factor hotel??

There are many special (Sicilian style) accommodations in Taormina –Villa Ducale, Villa Carlotta, Grand Hotel Timeo, Villa Sant'Andrea, Grand Hotel San Domenico....

Vagabonda

Mykonos, Greece
reviews: 5
2. Re: wow factor hotel??

Hi, I stayed at the Villa Taormina, and really liked it. It's in an old mansion, the main floor rooms are lavishly decorated, the room charming with modern facilities. It's not very commonly known, our driver had never heard of it. It's at the "far" end of the main drag of Taormina (Taormina is one long cobbled street cut out of the hillside, lined with shops and restaurants), at the opposite end from the Greek Theater. As such, it's in a bit of a quieter area, but just steps from the action. We thoroughly loved Taormina and our hotel. In fact we were supposed to go visit Etna one day but it was fogged in, so we stayed the day in Taormina and were glad. Enjoy!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: wow factor hotel??

An excellent choice as well....

Here's a more extensive list of boutique accommodations in Taormina - I originally offered most upscale and also very Sicilian - Villa Angela, Villa Ducale, Villa Carlotta, The Ashbee Park Hotel, Metropole Taormina Maison D’Hôtes, Hotel Imperiale Taormina, Grand Hotel Timeo, Villa Sant'Andrea, Hotel El Jebel, Hotel Villa Taormina, Grand Hotel San Domenico, Hotel Taodomus....

Vagabonda

uk
reviews: 248
4. Re: wow factor hotel??

Well, for me there would only be one which is the Metropole - undeniably the best location in terms of being on the main road and bang in the centre, michelin star restaurant and very chic outdoor space, rooms and some areas cut into the cliff. We looked at other hotels but they were just.. hotels...but this one is upmarket, chic, attentive, with a lot of wow factor - reflected in the prices of course! Live jazz, piano music when we were there. Check it out.

We always eat out on the terrace which has (in my opinion) the best setting/view in Taormina and equisite food.

Edited: 4:17 am, February 19, 2013
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: wow factor hotel??

Perhaps decide which means more to you, the "WOW factor" or the "something very sicilian style", or consider something in-between that offers a bit of both!

Vagabonda

Mount Isa, Australia
6. Re: wow factor hotel??

Thanks sooo much everybody! Delighted with all this help!! I have written down each name of these that all of you have offered and i'll just get on and do a yes/no for each of them!! sooOo ExciTeD now! My holiday always begins from the planning/pictures ! :D Cheers!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
7. Re: wow factor hotel??

Prego antsinwonderland - A pleasure....

The Taormina Tourist Information website lists all hotels with links to the hotel website, so very convenient!

casaleonardi.dyndns.org/accommodation_en.htm

Hope you'll report back - Enjoy your planning! :-)

Vagabonda

Mount Isa, Australia
8. Re: wow factor hotel??

Hi Everyone !!

Soo sorry but after alot of research we have now decided to stay in syracuse.. in particular 'ortigia' as i love the idea of being right in the middle of lots of the best restaurants ect and heard syracuse has more to see in the town itself.. just one question... how far away is ortigia from main syracuse?? we are thinking algila ortigia hotel but hubby would love somewhere with a pool too which algila doesnt have so im wondering if limiting my hotels to ortigia is being too strict.. we will be hiring a car but (being irish!) we like to have a drink or two so dont want to be too far out ! thanks so much!

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 6
9. Re: wow factor hotel??

I am checking out tomorrow after a 3 night stay at hotel Syrius.

Yesterday I had booked a day-long tour to Mt Etna which started at 7 am. I asked for a wake-up call & the phone never rang. I woke up on my own & had to rush w/o event coffee. When I told reception they were very rude. The staff later checked my phone & realized the volume was set to the lowest level. The hotel said it wasn't their fault & didn't adjust price for 2 missed breakfasts which was included in the price. Their reasoning was the phone was working, just volume to lowest level (silent).

I don't recommend this hotel.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
10. Re: wow factor hotel??

Hi antsinwonderland,

Ancient Ortigia is certainly lovely and just a short walk over the bridge to Mainland Siracusa – The archaeological park is a half-hour walk.

There are many outstanding accommodations (hotels and B&Bs) in Siracusa - Siracusa is a lovely historical destination, but not known for beaches or hotels with pools!

The Livingston Hotel has a wellness centre with an indoor pool.

The Des Etrangers Hotel & Spa doesn’t have a pool, but an indoor Jacuzzi.

The Musciara Siracusa Resort (Mainland Siracusa with views of Ortigia and an easy walk to Ortigia) has its own private beach.

Vagabonda