We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cavagrande Cassibile

Which Syracuse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester...
reviews: 2
Cavagrande Cassibile

Hey guys,

I have looked on the forum, but I haven't really managed to find something which has helped solve a problem I am having currently.

There are 4 of us staying in Syracuse and our plan during Mid June is to visit the nature reserve in the morning, continue on to Noto for the sunset and evening, then return to Syracuse at night.

Seeing that public transport is not permitted in the nature park, the plan was to take the bus to Cassibile, then take a taxi to the start of the Cavagrande hike. From there, we would again take a taxi to Avola, before taking another bus to Noto, and then finally taking the bus from Noto to Syracuse.

Firstly, I am not even sure if this is the most efficient way, and secondly, I am not even sure if the timings will work (is there a late bus from Noto to Syracuse?)

A solution which I thought about was to rent a car for a day, or hire a driver. I cannot seem to find any options for daily hire for the former, and I was worried about the cost for the latter.

Could anyone please help by either proposing another solution, or direct me to somewhere in Syracuse where we could rent a car for a day or something?

Thank you very much in advance :)

11 replies to this topic
Antwerp, Belgium
reviews: 4
1. Re: Cavagrande Cassibile

Best you rent a car for the day and split the cost. It will not work with public transport. The cava grande is located next to the old town of noto, in the hills, so not the new town near the seaside. It is a steep ride uphill to get there but nice views.

Do wear good shoes, they will look at your shoes before you are allowed entrance. But it is all free. At the bottom of the canyon are beautifyl crystal clear water pools. Try to do it as early as possible, things get hot and it is quite a steep walk back up. You should be reasonable fit. There is a coffeshop at the entrance. Do not go down without pleanty of water!

Manchester...
2. Re: Cavagrande Cassibile

Humm I thought so. Do you know any companies which provide daily car hire? Many of the websites I have checked have a minimum 2 day policy. Also being under 21 presents its problems in renting a car.

Thank you for your information though, will definitely be packing good shoes!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: Cavagrande Cassibile

Welcome to Sicily mo_haffar!

There is no public transport to Cavagrande del Cassibile, and since you wouldn't find taxis, either hire a car, or book a driver.

But hiring a car for a day is pricey, and under 21 is challenging, and hopefully you have a credit card, but perhaps try http://www.nolomania.it/ for the hire.

Good luck!

Vagabonda

Manchester...
4. Re: Cavagrande Cassibile

Hi Vagabonda!

Thank you for letting me know about the taxi situation.

I went on nolomania, but it seems that the closest place you can pick up from and drop back off at is Catania, which I think will probably be a bit too out of the way.

Will continue to search for car hire companies or drivers. Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: Cavagrande Cassibile

Prego mo_haffar,

A car hire will be very expensive for a day, and also very difficult if under 21.

There are many drivers, but it could be pricy, but perhaps consider a driver for only a portion of your day where there's no public transport like Cavagrande del Cassibile.

New Travel Services:

www.newtravelservices.net

Siracusa Taxi Sebastiano Garrofalo:

http://www.siracusataxi.net/

Guiseppe (Pepe) Trupia:

+39 330975689

330975689@tim.it

You would be fine with public transport from Noto to Siracusa.

Buona fortuna!

Vagabonda

modica
reviews: 14
6. Re: Cavagrande Cassibile

You could try Sicularent, based in Siracusa who do 1 day hire - they're based in Viale Teocrito www.sicularent.it

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
7. Re: Cavagrande Cassibile

Unfortunately Sicularent in Siracusa requires a minimum age of 21 for a car hire.

Vagabonda

Edited: 6:41 am, April 18, 2014
Manchester...
8. Re: Cavagrande Cassibile

Thank you for your suggestion modicasa, I have emailed them to see if they will allow a concession for just one day. I highly doubt it, but I have also asked if they provide transfers if not.

I will be using newtravelservices from milazzo to Taormina only a couple of days prior, so will see if they are willing to give us a transfer. Thanks again Vagabonda.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
9. Re: Cavagrande Cassibile

Prego mo_haffar,

Sicularent requires a minimum age of 21 for a car hire.

Surely Christian at New Travel Services could provide the transfer. New Travel Services is very reliable.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

modica
reviews: 14
10. Re: Cavagrande Cassibile

Unfortunately there was a huge fire in the Cava GRande a couple of days ago -

siracusaoggi.it/cavagrande-le-fiamme-divoran…

As far as i know it is closed at the moment.

Can I take the opportunity to remind people that the biggest cause of wildfires is people leaving plastic water bottles around which act as a lense for sunlight.

Edited: 1:06 am, June 28, 2014
Reply to: Cavagrande Cassibile
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted