We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vagabonda Please Help us!

Which Syracuse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Qawra, Malta
reviews: 2
Vagabonda Please Help us!

Hi all,

Me & my husband are heading to Sicily, our traditional yearly romantic escape to celebrate our anniversary.

We are Maltese, and this is not our first trip to Sicily, we have stayed in both Taormina and Catania, visiting mostly the Catanese and Enna regions on several occasions.

We have an opening for a flight to Catania on the 27th June (4pm) with a return flight on Sunday 1st July (10pm) & we will transit by public transport mostly (i.e no rental car).

We first intended to stay in Agrigento, visiting that region, but now we are opting for a stay in Siracusa, visiting both Siracusa and Ragusa regions. We really wished to combine Agrigento and Siracusa but as of the traveling involved we will opt to leave Agrigento for another time, maybe with flights to Trapani.

Our hotel options in Siracusa are down to two, Mediterraneo hotel or the Principe di Fitalia which seems the nicest but is distant from the center. It does provide free shuttle services to the central points of interest. We are thinking of going for it. Do you think it is a good option? (both hotels have good reviews)

Now, with a stay in Siracusa, can you advise an itinnerary, with 'must see' sites (historic and archeological) Siracusa and nearby villages, like Noto and Ragusa, which we've heard are worth a visit too. We are sea lovers, so an advice to a good beach would be welcome. If you could advise a good (GOOD!) restaurant for our special anniversary dinner it would be wonderfull.

We are in our 30s so we dont mind some extra effort and activities (hubby is an avid diver).

Thanks all,

Lorna

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: Vagabonda Please Help us!

Congrats on your anniversary Lorna A!

Siracusa is a lovely and romantic base, and you could day trip to nearby Noto, and if time permits, also Ragusa (Ibla).

You might begin your planning with this recent thread....

Ortygia for a week - a few questions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187891-i1413-k550…

Catania is also a good arrival point for Agrigento – Take the direct SAIS Trasporti bus from Catania’s airport (Aeroporto Catania) to Agrigento. If you were to arrive in Trapani, take Lumia from Trapani Birgi to Agrigento. There are more options from Catania.

http://www.saistrasporti.it/

http://www.autolineelumia.it/

Interbus runs direct service from Aeroporto Catania to Siracusa.

http://www.interbus.it/

Without a car hire, stay in Siracusa, preferably on Ortigia!! There are many hotel options in Siracusa!

Ortigia is magical - Wander Ortigia’s ancient narrow streets, walk the island’s periphery, enjoy the evening passeggiata on the Lungomare and sunsets over the sea. Siracusa is a “real” place where locals go about daily life. Explore the Fonte Aretusa, the Tempio di Apollo, the Castello Maniace, Piazza Archimede, the Mikvah located under Hotel alla Giudecca....

mikva:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187888-i735-k1490…

Ortigia’s Piazza di Duomo is one of the most beautiful squares in Italy! Caravaggio's 'Burial of St Lucy' is housed in the Chiesa di Santa Lucia alla Badia (closed Mondays) on Siracusa’s Piazza Duomo. Visit the Ipogeo di Piazza del Duomo, the network of passages used as a bomb shelter during WWII.

italyguides.it/us/…duomo_square.htm

tripadvisor.com/…29521983

There’s a wonderful outdoor market in Siracusa every day, but Sunday is not the best day since the market is very small. The market is located near the parking area of Talete and it opens from 5.00-14.00, but it’s always best to visit as early in the day as possible.

Siracusa’s market isn’t as large as Catania’s La Pescheria, but it’s also local and colourful with a mix of local residents and tourists, and you would find fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, fish, cheeses....

The Piccolo Teatro dei Pupi on Ortigia’s Jewish quarter at Via della Giudecca, 17 (0931 465540). There’s also a workshop where you would be able to buy puppets at #19.

http://www.pupari.com/

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187891-d105…

Visit the Parco Archeologico della Neapolis, the very significant Museo Archeologico Regionale Paolo Orsi, the Catacombe di San Giovanni, the Museo del Papiro, Castello Eurialo, the Sanctuario della Madonna delle Lacrime, the Riserva Naturale Fiume Ciane e Saline di Siracusa....

Take a day trip to Noto - Evening on a good weather day is an especially lovely time to visit Noto when the sun shines on the golden baroque architecture.

tripadvisor.com/…41449550

winter in Syracuse:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187891-i1413-k252…

If time permits, visit Ragusa.

Ragusa’s public transport is located in Modern Ragusa, Ragusa Superiore, not Ragusa Ibla.

Trains arrive at Piazza del Popolo and there are local buses from Piazza del Popolo (#11and #13) to Ragusa Ibla. Train service is limited, and there’s no train service in Ragusa on Sundays.

Ragusa’s bus station is located at via Zama in Ragusa Superiore. Local buses (#11 and #13) run from via Zama in Ragusa Superiore to Ragusa Ibla.

…ragusa.gov.it/turismo/…ragusa.pdf

…ragusa.gov.it/viaggiare/…orario_feriale.pdf

…ragusa.gov.it/viaggiare/…cartina_bus.jpg

On weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) and additional line (#1) runs between Ragusa’s bus station on via Zama and Ragusa Ibla.

…ragusa.gov.it/viaggiare/…orario_festivo.pdf

Piazza del Popolo is a 15-minute walk from the bus terminal at via Zama.

A taxi from Ragusa Superiore to Ragusa Ibla would cost €8.

You’ll find many excellent restaurant options in Siracusa, but for a special celebration, consider Regina Lucia, (contemporary cuisine) Oinos, Apollonion Osteria da Carlo, Algila Ristorante, Ristorante Porta Marina….

There’s excellent diving at the Ognina near Siracusa.

tripadvisor.com/…34709395

http://www.parks.it/riserva.marina.plemmirio/

Reconsider your hotel options!

Vagabonda

Qawra, Malta
reviews: 2
2. Re: Vagabonda Please Help us!

Thanks vagabondaA+ for the tips. I am a bit perplexed as regards to the hotel as a i thought that il principe wud b fine

they have free shuttles to ortigia and to the archaeological center to the station and also a private beach and a pool. It is rated very highly on trip advisor. I dont know why u told me to reconsider. they also give u free bikes to go on bike tours.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: Vagabonda Please Help us!

Hotel Principe di Fitalia is not well located for those without a car. Without a car you are completely dependent on the hotel’s shuttle service, and that would make day tripping via public transport challenging.

Without a car, enjoy an accommodation in Siracusa – Have you considered Musciara Siracusa Resort?

Vagabonda

4. Re: Vagabonda Please Help us!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:41 am, June 20, 2013