We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snav/GNV vs. Tirrenia

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
reviews: 102
Snav/GNV vs. Tirrenia

Hello,

We intend to book a cabin on a ferry from Napoli to Palermo on 29 March.

"Toscana" is the name of the ship used by SNAV/GNV and "FLORIO/RUBATTINO" is the name of the ship used by TIRRENIA.

Should I have any prefference? the Tirrenia ships seem to be newer and bigger - is it true? Are they also more stabile?

We saw the tirrenia ships depart at 20:15 and arrive at 6:30, but we could find when the SNAV ship arrives (somwhere I saw that it arrives at 8 AM, but it seems to me a mistake). Are the arrival times identical? Is any of the ships/companies better than the other?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind assistance.

Lord Jade

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 23
1. Re: Snav/GNV vs. Tirrenia

Here is a posting which compares the Tirrenia with the SNAV ferries on this route:

slowtalk.com/groupee/…

If SNAV Toscana is used, its measurements are slightly different (it's an older ship):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_SNAV_Toscana

The arrival and departure times of the two ships are nearly identical.

I would choose the operator which has the lower fare for your departure date and type of accommodation. There is not a great difference between the two. SNAV may have a slight edge in terms of comfort (unless you want a reclining seat, in which case I'd take the FIRST class recliners on Tirrenia).

Tel Aviv, Israel
2. Re: Snav/GNV vs. Tirrenia

Thank you very much.

I booked with Tirrenia - because the ships are newer, and I saw bad reviews about SNAV Toscana.

The price was 5 Euro more than SNAV (for all of us and the car).

Thanx again.

Livian

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: Snav/GNV vs. Tirrenia

There’s really not much difference between the two services, but SNAV Toscana is an older ship.

Vagabonda

England
reviews: 3
4. Re: Snav/GNV vs. Tirrenia

Hi - anyone know if there are 220v ac sockets in the 2 berth cabins on any of the ferries between

Palermo and Naples?

Tel Aviv, Israel
5. Re: Snav/GNV vs. Tirrenia

We took a tirrenia 4 berth cabin and my wife says we had 220 sockets.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: Snav/GNV vs. Tirrenia

Yes, it's 220 Volt power outlets.

Vagabonda

England
reviews: 3
7. Re: Snav/GNV vs. Tirrenia

Wow - that was quick - thanks for the replies

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
8. Re: Snav/GNV vs. Tirrenia

Prego e buon viaggio AULANIS!

Vagabonda

9. Re: Snav/GNV vs. Tirrenia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 09, 2014