We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palermo - Safety ...

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derby
reviews: 26
Palermo - Safety ...

Is Palermo safe for a middle-aged woman travelling alone just before Xmas and staying in a decent hotel? I only go out by day, haha! Is getting a taxi from the airport OK?

THANKS!

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Palermo - Safety ...

You should be fine. Of course, like in any major city, you should take care of your belongings as you go about town, but it's really no more dangerous than any other European city - least of all London.

I might be inclined to steer clear of the Vucciria by night, but otherwise you would probably also be fine to go out in the evenings. There will be plenty of people around on the streets till well past 8:30 - and till much later in some places. Just avoid heading down any deserted alley ways or side streets.

Unfortunately, most of the quieter, 'nicer' hotels are, by definition located off the main thoroughfares (Via Roma, Via Maqueda, Corso Vittorio Emanuele), and so in order to get to them, you often need to take a side street. But if you plan your route, know where you are going and keep your head down, no one will bother you.

The taxi too should be fine.

And actually, I've always found the people of Palermo extremely helpful and friendly. Just before Christmas can be a lovely time to visit. Enjoy your stay.

Derby
2. Re: Palermo - Safety ...

THANK YOU!!!! What a lovely, considered reply!!! Long live TripAdvisor!!!

Oxford UK
reviews: 47
3. Re: Palermo - Safety ...

One thing to consider in Palermo whatever your age or gender is road safety. Drivers in Palermo are the worst I have experienced anywhere in Italy. They often do not stop at pedestrian crossings and seem to treat red lights as advisory. So take care when you cross the road!

Derby
4. Re: Palermo - Safety ...

Thanks!

Oldsmar, Florida
reviews: 76
5. Re: Palermo - Safety ...

We just got back from palermo, we stayed in the Politeama area at Hotel Garibaldi, I walk with a cane, and was some what concerned, but we had absolutely no problems, when crossing the street, i learned, once you start crossing, keep going, until you get to the other side. I think that's the only way they stop.

We walked everywhere, mostly ate dinner near the hotel and just no problems, at all.

england
6. Re: Palermo - Safety ...

I think palermo is much safer than londonistan

no need to worry

Oldsmar, Florida
reviews: 76
7. Re: Palermo - Safety ...

I Absolutely agree. I think Palermo gets a terrible reputation. I think mostly all the people where charming and helpful, from the hotel staff to the waiters in the restaurants,

I loved palermo, and will be back next year.

I just didn't see any safety issues in Palermo.

Just like any big cities, you have to be awhere of your surroundings

Veronica

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 52
8. Re: Palermo - Safety ...

I was warned by one gentleman to zip up my handbag and Nick had his wallet lifted by the waiting, older men who "assisted" him onto the bus in town. So do be aware and look after your things, especially in more crowded situations.

Actually, the bus situation was interesting. There must have been 25 people waiting for that bus, they all surged towards it as it arrived, but I reckon only about 10 actually got on, so there was some group action happening here. They all looked very friendly and were generally middle aged or older.

Lesson learned...

Gloucestershire...
reviews: 94
9. Re: Palermo - Safety ...

The bus from the airport is convenient and much cheaper than a taxi - 6 euros. They drop off at Politeama / Castelnuovo as well as central station.

We had no issues on Palermo streets and would not have worrieed too much if I had been alone. Just take sensible precautions as you would at home.

As LynnB says, take particular care getting on and off public transport - especially routes taken by tourists. We met two people who had been targeted by pickpockets at the stop for Monreale in Piazza independenza. They crowd you as you get on and will attempt to get their hands on your valuables while you are preoccupied with validating your ticket at the machine just inside the door of the bus.

Edited: 3:38 am, November 18, 2012
Derby
10. Re: Palermo - Safety ...

Thanks to everyone for all the lovely, helpful hints!!!!