We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

´Best place to stay in Palermo

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
haedo
reviews: 9
´Best place to stay in Palermo

Hello people! I'm trying to find a good place to stay in Palermo. We'll stay 2 days in order to visit Monreale and Cefalù (by car) and the historic center (on foot). Of course, we'd like go out at night, to dinner or symply to look the city illuminated. We can't decide if stay in hotels located at around the 100 in Via Roma or next to Porta Felice, or directly stay next to Politeama Theatre (via Amari or via Ruggero Settimo). Thanks for the help!

Nowra, Australia
reviews: 57
1. Re: ´Best place to stay in Palermo

I can only recommend based on our experience in 2011. We had an apartment (for a week) over the market (Mercato del Capo, see my review) at Porta Carini. Googlemaps suggests places near there. You can walk to lots of places easily in Palermo (walk to the Norman Palace via the cathedral to take the bus to Monreale), and catch the bus to the station on Via Roma.

You speak of driving to Cefalu, perhaps you need the car for some out of town destination, but perhaps consider taking the train http://trenitalia.it - many Palermo-Cefalu trains, for Euros 5.15

Edited: 4:47 am, March 10, 2012
Nowra, Australia
reviews: 57
2. Re: ´Best place to stay in Palermo

Link to 'Capo' inserted above by the system is misleading, for Mercato di Capo see

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187890-d1…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: ´Best place to stay in Palermo

Welcome to Sicily 55magela!

Avoid driving in Palermo and hire the car on your departure from the city – Take the train or SAIS Trasporti bus from Palermo to Cefalù.

Two days is really insufficient time to explore Palermo, Monreale, and Cefalù.

The Politeama square area is lively, well situated for public transport (including the airport bus, but also the bus to the train station), restaurants, and nightlife, and it’s attractive with squares, wider streets, and shopping.

Gentrified piazza Marina is another lively area with restaurants and trattorie, and it’s slightly closer to Palermo’s historic sites, but not as convenient for public transport.

Palermo’s historic centre around via Roma can be quiet at night when everything is closed.

Palermo safe at night?

tripadvisor.com/…28817913

21+ Days in Sicily - Where to stay?

tripadvisor.com/…39099619

Vagabonda

haedo
4. Re: ´Best place to stay in Palermo

Thanks you DinoA77 and Vagabonda! You both are very gentle and useful! Vagabonda: thanks for your greeting and another questions. We are going to Sicily and we wil be arriving in Palermo (and this is our last place on Sicily) on a Saturday afternoon or night from Agrigento (via Erice and Segesta surely, we are not sure if will have enough time to visit Selinunte too). On Sunday I thougt of using the car to do Monreale (during the morning) and then Cefalù. Do you still consider better to left the car this very day and do them by public means of transport? If not, my plans would be to left the car on monday morning in the city officine of Avis and employ the rest of our time on visiting Palermo on foot. We'll be departing on tuesday at 20hs with a ferry so we'll have all monday and more than half tuesday to visit Capella Palatina, the historic center and so. I thought that maybe we even have time to know Mte Pellegrino o Mondello. Do you think I'm too optimistic? At first I thougt on Hotel Ambasciatori, but due to your recomendations I think that it will be better the Garibaldi or Palazzo Pantaleo to stay. Do you agree? Thanks you again to everyone!

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
reviews: 7
5. Re: ´Best place to stay in Palermo

It's better to do both by public transport. Saturday afternoon/ evening is a bad and busy period to try to find your way through central Palermo. Leave the car at the airport, and reach the center by bus, the airport bus has convenient stops for both the areas mentioned. Cefalù can be easily reached by train or bus.

And sunday isn't the best day to visit Monreale, because of the masses can be difficult.

If you prefer an area busy even at night, stay around Politeama square. the first stretch of via roma is quieter, as Vagabonda said.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: ´Best place to stay in Palermo

Prego 55magela,

I agree with biondo – Return the car and see the sights via public transport.

However, change your itinerary since there’s no bus from Palermo to Monreale on Sundays, so see Monreale on Monday. You can enjoy Cefalù on Sunday.

Opening Hours of Places of Interest in Palermo:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k5219…

What to do in Palermo on a Sunday:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3405…

Hotel Ambasciatori, Hotel Garibaldi or Palazzo Pantaleo are all lovely accommodations, but you would probably better enjoy the Politeama area.

Vagabonda

haedo
7. Re: ´Best place to stay in Palermo

Thanks everyone for your advices, I'm changing some things to put them in practice! I always have read Tripadvisor before a trip, but this is the first time I'm receiving them in a personal way!I would carry everyone of you during my trip instead of a GPS!

I want to ask you something new, even if it is not specifically related with Palermo. I'm trying to organize differente parts of my trip (in may by car), could you advise me about the better way to do them?

Thursday 10: leaving Siracusa. I would like to visit Noto, Ragusa, Modica and Piazza Armerina, before arriving to Agrigento to stay at the Colleverde, but I think it sounds too ambitious to do, what do you think?.

Friday 11: day to visit Valle dei tempi and maybe Scala dei Turchi.

Saturday 12: leaving Agrigento to Palermo. If possible I'd like to visit Selinunte, Erice and Segesta. Could it be possible?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
8. Re: ´Best place to stay in Palermo

Ciao 55magela,

Yes, Siracusa to Agrigento via 4-town drive-by visits is overly ambitious.

Have you seen this thread?

trip siracusa - licata et al:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194662-i1381-k528…

You would be able to visit the Valley of the Temples and the Scala dei Turchi in a day, even with visits to the Giardino della Kolymbetra and the archaeological museum.

Selinunte is a vast site – You would be able to visit Segesta and Erice, but would be spread to thin to also include Selinunte.

Return the car at the airport and take the bus to Palermo.

Kind regards,

Vagabonda

perth australia
reviews: 14
9. Re: ´Best place to stay in Palermo

Whats a good area to stay in Palermo that is central to most things, we dont have a car and will be staying 4nights in September thank you

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
reviews: 7
10. Re: ´Best place to stay in Palermo

Both the areas mentioned above (Politeama/Massimo theatre and Kalsa) are absolutely central and lively at night, Poilteama area is the most convenient for public transport.