We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 22
Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

Booked a car through Carhire3000 who have a great reputation. Unfortunately they use Sicily by Car. Car hire was fine and returned undamaged until after I got home discovered 1 month later a bill for £499.98 from Autoeuropa (Sicily by car). No explanation. Asked c/c to block and carhire3000 to contest. Looking at the review centre this company appears to be involved in a scam of getting your credit card details and doing a huge bill later for "scratches". I wont use again WATCH OUT. See www.reviewcentre.com/reviews122538.html

and www.reviewcentre.com/reviews174350.html

for other people's views.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

There have been many earlier threads warning about Autoeuropa on the Sicily/Italy forums – Use the Search box to retrieve earlier threads.

Avoid Autonoleggio AutoEuropa - Sicily By Car:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3831…

Autoeuropa sourced by Car Italy and Tours and Sicily by Car:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k32549…

Fortunately your broker and credit card company can intervene.

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

Edited: 10:05 am, December 07, 2011
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
2. Re: Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

Also....

Book your vehicle from a broker who deals with internationally known suppliers. There are reliable brokers like AutoEurope, Italy Auto Rental, and Gemüt. When booking your vehicle, ask about the supplier and avoid Maggiore, Autoeuropa (not AutoEurope), Sicily by Car, Locauto.....

Vagabonda

Malmo, Sweden
reviews: 3
3. Re: Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

Hi,

I would also like to share my experience about Sicily By Car agency.

I have rented car from many agencies in different countries with avis, hertz, buget etc. Never had a problem. This time I booked it through rentalcars.co.uk. and they arranged agreement with "sicily by car". I had opted for insurance from rentalcar.co.uk itself for extra cost. But when I went to get the car from Catania Airport, SicilybyCar's front desk employees told me brokers like rentalcars.co.uk cheat customers with bogus insurance and so its not much usable. And they wanted me to go for their insurance which was 150Euros. So I immediately called up rentalcars office in UK and they said its not true.

I tried to talk to sicilybycar but they turned out to be not all willing to listen. Luckily one other customer came and cancelled his booking after a small quarrel. Smelling very bad ending to story, I cancelled the booking with loosing coupleof day's rental amount, but still mind peace was important and that is supposed to be a vacation.

I went with hertz rental and as usual everything went ok.

I would suggest you to contact Sicilybycar as soon as you find out they are your provider and fix every single doubt before you land infront of them. once you are there, very little chance of getting away clean, and to enjoy the beautiful Sicily.

PS: Its actually not very difficult to drive in Italy either like I read in many forums. keep you eyes on road and everything will go fine.

/Aj

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
4. Re: Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

Thank you for your report and excellent advice Aj700 - Yes, avoid Sicily by Car!!

Vagabonda

Lightwater UK
reviews: 13
5. Re: Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

I had exactly the same scenario when I returned a Peugeot 309 to Auto Europa in Cagliari last November (2011).

They sent photocopies of 'photos that showed up the car park light reflections but no detail of any damage whatsoever! The bill was for £470. Fortunately I was fully covered by the extra insurance cover I bought!

I then, on the 16/1/2012, got another charge of 50 Euros plus VAT for administration charges for an alleged motoring offence. I was told that I would get details of the conviction / fine from the Cagliari police direct. We will see if I get any further communications.

DO Not use this Company, too many other reports of similar actions!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

Unfortunately scams like this even if covered by insurance raise the rates for everyone.

Good luck with the fine JohnVG007....

Vagabonda

Lightwater UK
reviews: 13
7. Re: Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

Thanks, I doubt the Cagliari Police will even bother contacting me assuming it was really a bona fide offence. One can do so much with printed document fabrication these days!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
8. Re: Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

It's possible that it was a bona fide offence and it could take quite awhile for the fine to arrive - Please keep us posted JohnVG007....

Good luck!

Vagabonda

9. Re: Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline prohibiting hate speech and racist or culturally-insensitive comments. Hate speech is defined as: speech or written word intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against a group of people based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 pm, March 23, 2012
Warsaw, Poland
reviews: 1
10. Re: Sicily by Car / Autoeuropa

PLEASE, NEVER EVER USE SICILY BY CAR & Never ever preauthorize any transaction with your credit card when dealing with Sicily by Car!

There are many business models & many ways to earn money for living. Some people are carpenters, some are bus drivers, some are engineers, some teach kids in school and some people decide to steal others people money.

The whole thing is to minimize the risk of being caught. Sicily by car developed sophisticated business model based on frauds made on the foreigners' credit card accounts. I lost 500 Euro for science fiction damages which have not been caused by me, but I am sure that there are many other Sicilian by Car tricks to get rich on your account. And the sequence goes like this:

1) You book the car and you are at the right place to pick the car up

2) An arrogant and unprofessional staff give you dozen of papers to sign

3) An arrogant and unprofessional staff ask you to preauthorize the transaction (e.g. 1400 Euro) - "just in case Sir"

4) You are asked to go for the car to the parking place, about 1 km from the office - there is a car, no staff on the place, everything seems to be fine so you drive away

5) You are returning the car, fully tank, clean, in exact the same state as taken. They check the car, give you papers to sign again. They say it is alright and "thank you for your cooperation Sir"

6) After few days you notice that your credit card account has been charged with 500 - 1000 Euro so you are getting a little bit irritated. But still you think this is just a mistake so you contact customer.service@sbc.it.

7) They send you back the copies of documentation stating that you returned damaged or broken car.

8) After next few days you receive the post letter from some Insurance Company in Palermo which you and no one has ever heard about saying dated THE SAME DAY (!) as you returned the car, that they charge you 500E for car reparation INCLUDING DETAILED BILL ISSUED BY CAR REPAIR SERVICE!

9) You are shocked, you just realize that you've been robbed and you can not believe that something like this exist in civilized world.

So, PLEASE, NEVER EVER USE SICILY BY CAR & Never ever preauthorize any transaction with your credit card when dealing with these dodgers - Sicily by Car - No, thank you. I would rather choose HERTZ or AVIS.

Get answers to your questions about Palermo