We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Messina off a cruise ship

Which Messina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 5
One day in Messina off a cruise ship

We are 6 passengers traveling together and will be in Sicily from 8- 5.. What kind of transportation can we get from our port in Messina to Taormina? Bus? Taxi?

Thank you - Diane

CA
reviews: 25
1. Re: One day in Messina off a cruise ship

Hello,

This does not answer your question directly, but I have to share our experience. We just finished a cruise that stopped in Messina, and that was the only port where we paid for an excursion organized by the cruise company....and were so glad we did! We walked off the ship, got on a waiting bus, and were first taken to Savoca. The bus driver's skills handling those hills were impressive, to say the least. We saw an interesting crypt in a church, a couple of sites where Godfather was filmed, but were more excited to score some Limoncello at one of the local shops. We were then taken to Forza d'agro, a gorgeous place high up, with amazing views of the towns and sea below. The tour guide said we could hang out instead of following her to another church. We wandered into a pizzeria, and had the best pizza, and even BETTER cannoli (we've had many). Watching the young cook and the older waiter work together while we devoured the food was pretty special to us. Then we crossed the street to a vantage point for great pictures. I don't like organized tours at all. However, we really enjoyed this tour. It wasn't too expensive, and it was money well spent. Now that I've 'talked your ear off', I will say that we saw several local buses going back and forth. I'm sure it's possible, and probably less expensive than a taxi. Wait for an answer from Vagabonda...her informative answers are great.

Sicily, Italy
Destination Expert
for Messina
reviews: 176
2. Re: One day in Messina off a cruise ship

Hello!

No taxi, too expensive. The bus is a good option but as you don't have much time and you are six you could consider a private transfer.

These old threads will help you

tripadvisor.com/…40050961

tripadvisor.com/…44855081

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187889-i2142-k289…

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: One day in Messina off a cruise ship

Just been to Messina on Navigator of the Seas. Ended up going for their 'Taormina On Your Own' shore excursion, on a coach, which was great. Enjoyed looking around Taormina, then going to the very pretty Isola Bella beach - first time I'd ever gone down to a beach in a cable car!

Having said that , the train line which runs below the road looked fantastic, as it skirted around the coastline next to the emerald sea. Iff we'd had a little more time, and been a little braver, we might have opted for the DIY trip on the train - they run every hour, but go to the village below Taormina, not Taormina itself.

Enjoy your hols!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
4. Re: One day in Messina off a cruise ship

Thanks for your report Costa M!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: One day in Messina off a cruise ship

Thank you for your report and kind words as well happymoons!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: One day in Messina off a cruise ship

Welcome to Sicily Senecadee!

When will you arrive and specifically what day of the week?

Booking the transfer through the ship is truly your best option guaranteeing a timely return to the ship – You would appreciate the arranged transport, but also the ability to explore Taormina on your own.

Public transport (combination of bus or train) is an option, but your time is limited.

Taormina shares its train station with Giardini and the station is located below the town along the coast, requiring a bus or taxi up to town.

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

north yorkshire
reviews: 1
7. Re: One day in Messina off a cruise ship

We will be visiting Messina on cruise ship for one Sunday at the end of December. We have been to Taormina and prefer not to use organised tours.

I realise public transport is limited on Sundays.

Do we have any other options (including walking) ?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
8. Re: One day in Messina off a cruise ship

Welcome to Sicily darl0!

There aren’t many options on a Sunday in Messina in December – Consider the ship’s transport only option.

One day in Messina- What to do and see?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187889-i2142-k486…

Cruise Port to Train Station: Rosario

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187889-i2142-k433…

Vagabonda

Viera, FL
reviews: 28
9. Re: One day in Messina off a cruise ship

I also will be there with a group of 6 ariving May 20 via crusie ship. Are there private tours which might work for our group. Being experienced cruisers, I know what the ship offers is good but also know the same can be accomplished on your own and costing lot less.

north yorkshire
reviews: 1
10. Re: One day in Messina off a cruise ship

Last time we walked to the train station and went to Toarmina, around 45 minutes with a frequent service except on Sunday.

There are links on this forum to the Italian Rail website showing the (cheap)fares and timetable