We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Etna - for someone who struggles to walk!

Which Catania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bexhill-on-Sea...
Mount Etna - for someone who struggles to walk!

Hello

I am taking my Mum to Sicily in April. She would like to do a day trip from Catania to Mount Etna. Unfortunately she cannot walk very well or very far.

Is it still worth visiting even if we cannot go trekking?

Thank you :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: Mount Etna - for someone who struggles to walk!

That's really a decision only you and your Mum can decide Miguella2013, but if your Mum would like to experience the volcano, why not?

You could take the AST bus from Catania to Etna's Rifugio Sapienza via Nicolosi. The bus departs Catania at 8.15 and returns to Catania at 18.30.

You could walk the rim of the Silvestri Craters, and get a ‘feel’ for the volcano!

Then take the funivia and perhaps the 4X4.

There are also restaurants and shops.

Mt Etna for someone not able to walk:

tripadvisor.com/…47965828

Vagabonda

Bexhill-on-Sea...
2. Re: Mount Etna - for someone who struggles to walk!

Thank you for your useful advice Vagabonda!

I would like to see it, and I think although we cannot go trekking, walking the rim of the Silvestri Craters will give us a taster. I didn't think we would be able to do muchif we weren't trekking, but it sounds like we can see the craters, go to the restaurants when my Mum gets worn out, and take in the beautiful view.

Thank you, Michelle

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: Mount Etna - for someone who struggles to walk!

Prego Miguella2013,

If you'd like to see Etna, then surely visit.

The views are more impressive with elevation, but you would get a feel for the volcano.

Perhaps take the funivia.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

4. Re: Mount Etna - for someone who struggles to walk!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 05, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Catania