We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

Which Catania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Russian from London
Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

Ok, I didn't spend enough time planing this trip. I googled Catania and was pretty much happy with what I saw. However Catania is a province and a town as well. I've got a hotel booked till 31st and I'm not sure what to do next. The town is ugly, falling apart and I want to run from it. Should I leave everything and run to Palermo and spend the rest of my holiday there or there is something that I can see here? I want to see real Sicily in its full glory! Long sandy beaches, palm trees and blue sea. Please please help!

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 3
1. Re: Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

It seems you didn't do your homework when selecting your destination, or else when you were doing it, you confused the city and the province (and yet if you look at the title of this forum, it goes Forums - Province of Catania forums - Catania forum). But in my opinion, you really DON'T want to see the "real Sicily", so much as something that corresponds to your dream of it.

Why don't you jump on a train to Taormina? It takes 40 mins from Catania Centrale to Taormina-Giardini, e.g. dep. 11:15, arr. 11:55.

Edited: 7:09 pm, July 25, 2012
NY
reviews: 71
2. Re: Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

Also Siracusa, Etna, various Roman ruins, Cefalu for the beaches

Some do not like Catania and I would not choose it for a base, but there are some experts who I think will soon give you more hope.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

Not me TravelSmith – I agree with qaminari....

Ciao totcambiu – Head to nearby Taomrina.

You really don’t want to see “real” Sicily - You want a tourist destination, and Taormina would be more to your liking.

taormina vs. catania:

tripadvisor.com/…40109097

And there's nothing wrong with that totcambiu –Catania isn't to everyone's liking just as Taormina isn't to everyone's liking.

Hope you can salvage your holiday and have a good time!

All the best -

Vagabonda

Russian from London
4. Re: Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

Thanks for your prompt answers. Yes that is exactly what happened I've thought Catania is the the town but now I know it is also a province as well. Same with Palermo . Don't get me wrong about "Real Sicily" I probably didn't said its right but I'm pretty sure Catania town is not what I was hoping to see. I want to see something special. I need a wow factor! Will Palermo (town) be different? Is it a better place for my base. I have a scooter so I'm kinda flexible. Drivin on a public transport is a pain. So I rather change towns and rent scooters.

Ok today I'm going to ride to Taormina and tmrw I will visit mt Etna. Cefalu is kinda a bit far away from Catania to visit it on a scooter. Bring more suggestions if you can on what to do after that. Will update when come back from Taormina.

Haugesund, Norway
reviews: 30
5. Re: Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

Hello,

If you think Catania is run down, my guess is you will probably think Palermo is too. Although I have to admit I love Palermo, and enjoyed Catania as well. Palermo is also a city that is not very polished, even less polished than Catania in my opinion. But that is what we enjoy when travelling. I think Palermo has a lovely atmosphere with wonderful restaurants that serve food in abundance if you take care and ask the locals for recommendations.

Though judging by your initial post, Taormina and Siracusa seems a better choice as they are very clean and renovated cities. I must say I enjoyed both Taormina and Siracusa as well, though run-down Palermo remains my favorite. :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

Palermo would not be the destination for you totcambiu – Vitaxis’ suggestion of Taormina and Siracusa are more in keeping with what you would like, but Taormina is a resort town and not “real” Sicily.

Also visit Ragusa (Ibla), Modica, and Noto – These are genuine towns, and lovely. You could also visit the nearby coast and beaches. Some of Sicily's best beaches are located in Siracusa and Ragusa provinces.

So many towns, so little time...:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3792…

Best beaches / quiet area of Sicily for one week in May?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5068…

Vagabonda

Hungary, EUROPE
reviews: 158
7. Re: Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

Hop on a train and go to Acireale, Aci Trezza, Aci Castello - these are half an hour away only and are wonderful.

Catania did not attract me either when I have visited it last summer :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
8. Re: Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

Catania may not be for everyone, but there are those who really appreciate what Catania has to offer!

Nicest town in Sicily to visit:

tripadvisor.com/…37597789

Catania, a under appreciated pleasant surprise:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187888-i735-k4798…

Vagabonda

Russian from London
9. Re: Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

I'm in Taormina right now and I love it! We got right to the top and the view was stunning! Had a really tasty pizza margargarita with double cheese. Walked a bit there and now im chilling on the Isa bella beach. Looking into some good Restaurant now and probably going to comeback here tmrw or maybe go south from Catania to Siracusa.

Chester, United...
reviews: 104
10. Re: Ok I'm in Catania (town) , and it's one big disappointment.

Isn't Tripadvisor wonderful?! I was going to suggest you read the Matthew Fort book about travelling through Sicily on a scooter, but it sounds as if you have arrived where you should be. Have a great holiday!

Get answers to your questions about Catania