We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hostel in city center safe??

Which Catania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San diego
reviews: 3
hostel in city center safe??

Hello again all my sicilian friends,

It looks like I am traveling ahead of my husband by about 3 days. I thought that the hostel in Catania's city center might be a good idea. That way I can meet other young (ok maybe 30's isn't THAT young but young minded!) travelers. Maybe it'll give me someone to go exploring with or at least to learn a bit of other's culture. The hostel looked like it was on a direct bus line to the beach too. And, it offers private rooms.

Is the hostel a safe place..or would I be better off getting a hotel elsewhere?? I'm going to Giardini for my trip with my husband and friend.

Thannk you!!!!

ps. Vagabond if you have more advice...that you so very much..you have already been WONDERFULLY HELPFULL!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: hostel in city center safe??

Hi cgould999,

Catania is a large and gritty city and as a solo female travel warrants some caution. Catania as a first stop in Sicily may be baptism by fire.

Are the cities safe?

http://www.bestofsicily.com/faqs.htm#safety

Public Lust:

www.bestofsicily.com/faqs.htm#passeggiata

Any special advice for a woman traveling alone (or with a few other women) in Sicily?

www.bestofsicily.com/faqs.htm#for_women_only

Tips for Women Travelers:

frommers.com/destinations/…0771028784.html

Are you considering Catania City Centre B&B? You may find the street a little sinister at night. Catania also doesn’t have an especially good beach.

2 single women in sicily for 3 days:

tripadvisor.com/…8381091

As a university town, Catania has a very active nightlife, so you may decide to stay in Catania, but you might consider a hotel, although the hostel is popular, or you could consider a different destination like Siracusa.

Vagabonda

San diego
2. Re: hostel in city center safe??

Thank you again Vagabond. I am having a little trouble planning this part of my trip. I am actually on a flight into Naples and have a choice of going on to Catania a few days before I meet my husband or staying in naples. I will actually be arriving in Siganella and was looking for some place close to go explore for a few days that was safe. I'm at a loss and up for any suggestions close to that area because i will be going back to meet him and have no vehicle.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: hostel in city center safe??

Ciao!

Naples is very much like Catania and not necessarily the best introduction to Italy for a first time solo female traveller.

But since you like beach destinations…

You could take the convenient and inexpensive bus from the airport in Naples and spend your three days in Sorrento – A lovely (and safe) resort with easy bus access to the gorgeous Amalfi Coast, or ferry service to Capri.

Curreri Viaggi:

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

Sorrento:

www.frommers.com/destinations/sorrento/

Amalfi Coast:

www.frommers.com/destinations/amalficoast/

amalficoastweb.com/amalfi/…bus_ferries.html

And Air Italy runs cheap flights from Naples to Catania.

www.airitaly.eu/index.php?lang=uk&ml=uk

But certainly Siracusa, especially Ortigia would be another option – Closer to Sigonella.

And there are also direct buses and shuttles from the airport in Catania to the port in Milazzo – You could visit Lipari on the Aeolian Islands for a few days. Lipari is beautiful and has a nice nightlife in summer.

Then hydrofoil back to Messina and meet your husband in Giardini.

You really have several good options for your three days.

Vagabonda

San diego
4. Re: hostel in city center safe??

Thank you, Thank you, thank you!!!!

I am looking into all of these options. I must admit, I got a little scared when thinking of solo travel in Naples and Catania, but you have given me a bunch of safe options!!! The information that you offer can not be obtained in a tour book and I am 100% appreciative!!!

I found out that there are now bus lines that travel from SIG to Messina (the beach) so my day there will be easier to get around. This beach would be ok for me during the day right?

As for all else..I'm off to read and learn as much about Sorrento as possible!!

I owe you one...if you are ever planning a trip to San Diego or Whidbey Island let me know!!!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: hostel in city center safe??

Prego cgould999 – Hope it all works out for you!

Sorrento is a really good base for touring some of Italy’s most beautiful sites – Travel by ferry whenever possible in August! Hope you will ferry to Positano!

And yes, the beach will be fine for you during the day!

Buon Viaggio!

Vagabonda

6. Re: hostel in city center safe??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 11, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Catania