We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Taormina

Which Catania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Train to Taormina

Can anyone tell me how long the train takes from Catania to Taormina? There seems to be lots of info on the web about the bus, and about how the train station is a couple of kilometres below the town, but not how long it takes to get there.

i am going to Taormina later in the year and my flight gets in at 8 pm ish so i want to use the quickest method of getting to the town - with the exception of paying for a taxi!

Kate

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
1. Re: Train to Taormina

www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html using dates within next 60 days.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
2. Re: Train to Taormina

Bus would be much better - The Etna Trasporti bus is direct from Catania's airport to Taormina.

If you were to take the train, you would first take the AMT bus from the airport to Catania, then take Trenitalia, and then take Interbus from the Giardini train station to Taormina.

The train itself would take around 50 minutes.

Vagabonda

Manchester, UK
reviews: 10
3. Re: Train to Taormina

although the bus is the best way to get to Taormina from the airport, the last bus leaves at 19:45:

http://www.etnatrasporti.it/

you shoulh be able to chatch the train leaving at 22:04, gets in Taormina-Giardini station at 22:48 (€ 6.60):

…trenitalia.com/b2c/…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
4. Re: Train to Taormina

If travelling now, yes, thanks Salvo!

But if KateL007 will be "going to Taormina later in the year" (summer?), the bus schedule will go later at night.

Vagabonda

Manchester, UK
5. Re: Train to Taormina

Thanks Vagabonda, that's a great news!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: Train to Taormina

Let's hope it does - There are cuts on everything these days!

Vagabonda

London
7. Re: Train to Taormina

hi, many thanks for replying to my query, looks like I will need to get the train anyway as aparently the last bus will have left by the time i arrive.

Kate

Manchester, UK
8. Re: Train to Taormina

apologies KateL007,

I was looking at the old timetable and hopefully the summer times will include a later departure from Catania airport to Taormina.

When will you travel?

Salvo

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
9. Re: Train to Taormina

Depends when you'll be travelling, but if you'll be visiting in the near future prior to the summer schedules, the train would be your only option.

If you’ll be travelling in the summer, you would be able to take the Etna Trasporti bus.

If you do take the train, you’ll require Interbus from the station to Taormina.

Interbus:

http://www.interbus.it/

Vagabonda

10. Re: Train to Taormina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:31 am, October 23, 2009