We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one change

Which Sicily hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
one change

Dear Vagabond,

We have made most of our reservations based on your recommendations. We are spending 3 nights in Syracusa, then 3 nights in Modica and then onto Licata to Azienda Agricola Mandranova(if we can get confirmation). We are not sure about staying at La foresteria Planeta.

Would it be possible to skip this and go somewhere else or to Tripani and maybe go to Lampduesa since it seems to have a wonderful beach? If you think La Foresteria Planeta is not to be missed then we will try and make the reservations.

Prego,

Jill

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: one change

Ciao dear Jill!

Mandranova is located in Palma di Montechiaro, which is near Licata! If Mandranova has availability, Silvia will confirm, but this is low season, and family-owned agriturismi often take off some time during the low season.

Do not detour for Lampedusa – Rabbit Beach is beautiful and pristine, but low on amenities, and potentially not up to the standards that tourists are expecting. Lampedusa also has many political issues!!!!

Of course you can skip La Foresteria Planeta for a location nearer Trapani. Western Sicily is less developed than Eastern Sicily, real and genuine, and typically not boutique, so you know what to expect.

If you’d like to stay in Southwestern Sicily but not Planeta, then consider the very lovely Villa Sogno (B&B) - Cinzia and Lorenzo are enthusiastic, energetic, supportive....

The best -

Vagabonda

Denver, Colorado
2. Re: one change

Grazie Infinite,

We were fortunate and are booked into Casa Talia and Azienda Agricola Mandranova!!! I am so excited and can't wait to meet Silvia. I also asked them to make reservations at the restaurants you suggested.

We are still undecided as to Planeta. I really want to experience markets, shopping, people watching and being near the water. I am sure Palermo and Taromina will fill the bill and am wondering if there is another suggestion after Menfi? I will probably need to do lots of walking and biking to burn of all the wonderful calories !

I will look into the travel books and articles but really, really appreciate your suggestions.

Grazie,

Jill

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: one change

Prego Jill,

Casa Talía and Azienda Agricola Mandranova will offer local experiences and these are delightful accommodations!

Hopefully you will also enjoy dinner and wine selection at Mandranova – Silvia is an excellent cook and Giuseppe will assist with the wine.

Avoid Osteria dei Sapori Perduti in Modica - tripadvisor.com/…34454293

Catania, Siracusa, and Palermo offer the best markets, so plan time on ancient Ortigia (island) in Siracusa.

Stay in Trapani’s historic centre – Enjoy the lungomare, the trattoire, the market....

Trapani holds a Thursday morning market near the port - You would find the fish market at the port, and you would also find stands selling fruit and vegetables throughout town.

There is a Monday afternoon market below Erice, which some would consider Trapani, but technically it is still Erice. This market is located out by the stadium.

Enjoy your planing!

Vagabonda

Denver, Colorado
4. Re: one change

Once again, thank you!

What suggestions do you have for restaurants in Palermo and Taormina?

We are hoping for reservations at

Onions and Don Camillo in Syracuse,

Dumo, Cafe Sicilla in Modica/Ragusa

We are planning on eating at Silvia's

La Madia in Licata

and possibly Bye Bye Blues in Mundello

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: one change

Prego Jill R,

This thread and links discuss options in Palermo - Food in Palermo:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k6439…

Taormina enjoys a wide range of restaurants, trattorie, and osterie - Rosso Peperoncino, Osteria Nero D’avola, Trattoria da Nino, Ristorante L'incontro, Ristorante Le Naumachie, Al Melograno (formerly Ristorante Licchio's), Villa Antonio, Hotel El Jebel’s Ciampoli, Grand Hotel Timeo Restaurant, Restaurant Oliviero at Villa Sant'Andrea by Orient-Express, Hotel Metropole’s Bellevue, Al Saraceno above Taormina on the road to Castelmola, Il Barcaiolo at Spiaggia Mazzarò, and Gallo Cedrone in Castelmola.

RIstorante Duomo, Ristorante La Madia, Bye Bye Blues, and Azienda Agricola Mandranova will be lovely!

This recent thread discussed options in Modica - Exploring Modica, Raguso and Noto:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g616190-i11083-k64…

Siracusa is blessed with many good ristoranti , trattorie and osterie – Regina Lucia, Dioniso, APOLLONION Osteria da Carlo, Ristorante Algilà, Ristorante Porta Marina da Salvo, Ristorante Oinos di Ivo Vatti, Al Mazari, Ristorante, Pepenero, Ristorante Il Porticciolo, Ristorante Perbacco, Le vin de l'assassin Bistrot, Sicilia in Tavola, Red Moon, Piano B, Ristorante La Medusa da Kamel, Osteria La Gazza Ladra, Osteria da Mariano, Spaghetteria do Scogghiu, Locanda Mastrarua….

Vagabonda

6. Re: one change

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 25, 2014