We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

Which Sicily hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

Hi Everyone.

I've looked through the forum, but haven't come across any information about how long to allow for visits to Segesta, Selinunte, Agrigento & the Villa outside Piazza Armenina. I know that can be subjective as some like to go faster than others. But it would help me if I had some idea how much time others have spent at these sites.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

New York City, New...
reviews: 33
1. Re: How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

I recommend a good guidebook, which will describe how long one can/should spend at these sites, depending on your interests. The forum can only tell you how long particular posters spent there, assuming their memories are correct . :-)

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 17
2. Re: How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

Segesta (only Temple): 15 minutes to one hour

Segesta (Temple plus Theatre): one to three hours

Selinunte: one hour to all day

Agrigento (excluding medieval town): half a day to two days

Piazza Armerina Roma Villa: one to three hours

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

Ciao Maidahat,

Much depends on the time of day you plan to visit – Plan to arrive prior to tour buses in the early morning or in the late afternoon once tour buses depart.

As a gauge of time, the Michelin Green Guide recommends half a day for the Valley of the Temples, but allocate a full day for the Valley of the Temples, the Giardino della Kolymbetra, and the Museo Archeologico Regionale di Agrigento.

Allow half a day each for Selinunte, Segesta, and Piazza Armerina’s Villa Romana del Casale.

Vagabonda

Pittsburgh, PA
4. Re: How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

Thanks Vagabond. Great info as usual. ItalophileNJ suggested that I could find this information in a good guidebook and I know Rick Steves usually suggests the amount of time to allow for each sight. But, tragically, he doesn't cover Sicily and I've looked in vain in the Lonely Planet and Fodor's Sicily books for this. I guess I need to switch to the Michelin Green guide. Thanks again.

Pittsburgh, PA
5. Re: How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

Thanks, GAC. The time allocation suggestions from you and Vagabonda have given me something to work with. It so hard to plan out a trip when you have no idea of the time value of the different sites. I really appreciate your posts.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

Prego Maidahat,

Yes, the Michelin Green Guide and the Sicily Blue Guide are exceptional!

http://www.bestofsicily.com/books.htm

Travel Book Guide:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g667193-i12524-k42…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
7. Re: How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

Plan to see Segesta's tempio and teatro, and if at all possible, walk between the two for some of the most scenic landscape in all of Sicily. There's a shuttle that runs to the teatro, but it doesn't stop for photos, and bring water and protect against the sun!

tripadvisor.com/…18007458

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
reviews: 33
8. Re: How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

I had bought the Green Guide and the Blue Guide. But the ones I took with me were the Cadogan Guide and the Rough Guide as they were somehow handier for practical purposes.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
9. Re: How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

The Sicily Blue Guide is good for planning purposes - The Michelin Green Guide is good to bring along.

Unfortunately not all guides are current and information updates from year to year, so always check for current information online as well.

Vagabonda

10. Re: How Much Time Should I Allow for Touring Sites like Segesta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 27, 2014