We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-6 days in sicily

Which Sicily hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maltahohe, Namibia
reviews: 22
5-6 days in sicily

I will be in Sicily at end of sept for 5-6 days.Can't decide if I should fly into Cantania and stay around Taormina for the duration or make trip to Palermo after fews days and fly out from there.Will be returning to Rome.Also will be traveling with my parents who want to take it pretty easy and chill beaches and quant little towns, maybe some catch some live music and wine bars at night.

Should I stay on east side or should I make trip to Palermo?

What would be the best way to get to Palermo from Taormina if so?

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
reviews: 8
1. Re: 5-6 days in sicily

With just 5-6 days probaly it would be better to focus on east side, especially if your parents want to take it easy; Palermo is too far for a daytrip, and would deserve at least 2 days.

On the eastern coast, Siracusa should not be missed!

Maltahohe, Namibia
2. Re: 5-6 days in sicily

well thats what I was thinking of spending the last few days in palermo and fly out from there.

What would be best way to get around, should we rent car or just bus it?

Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: 5-6 days in sicily

Welcome to Sicily Jude-trang!

You would maximise your limited time by flying to Catania and staying in Eastern Sicily, hiring a car, and dividing your time between Taormina and Siracusa.

If you open-jaws your route with a few nights in Palermo, don’t hire a car and take the bus to Palermo – This option is far less relaxing for your parents.

Vagabonda

Maltahohe, Namibia
4. Re: 5-6 days in sicily

Cheers Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: 5-6 days in sicily

Prego Jude-trang,

Although you're finding Palermo appealing, consider that you would lose the better part of a day getting from Taormina to Palermo.

If you don't hire a car during your time in Taormina, you would take Interbus from Taormina to Catania's airport, and then the direct SAIS Autolinee bus service from Catania's airport to Palermo.

If you do hire a car during your time in Palermo, you could return the car at Catania's airport, and then take the SAIS Autolinee bus - This is your best option. You really don't want a car in Palermo!

Enjoy your planning!

Vagabonda

Maltahohe, Namibia
6. Re: 5-6 days in sicily

Thanks.

Would you recommend hiring a car, are there other worthwhile excursions to little villages along the east coast?or is it mostly doable by bus and how often does the bus come by some of these little smaller villages?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
7. Re: 5-6 days in sicily

Depends where you’d like to go....

You would appreciate a car for the towns and beaches south of Siracusa, and even for Savoca near Taormina. You can easily visit Castelmola and Giardini near Taormina – There’s frequent bus service.

But if you’d like to visit wineries or the towns around Etna, you could take an excursion if you decided against a car hire.

www.sicilylife.com/index.php…

Vagabonda

Quakertown...
reviews: 2
8. Re: 5-6 days in sicily

I'm planning a four week driving trip through southern Italy and Sicily in September and October. Can anyone recommend nice B & B's and some "must see" attractions in Sicily.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
9. Re: 5-6 days in sicily

Welcome to Sicily Ronaldo18951!

Perhaps begin your own new thread - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187886-i343-Sicil…

The Michelin Green Guide ranks destinations, and may help you decide what you would like to see and do.

…viamichelin.com/web/…Italy-Sicily

…viamichelin.com/web/…Italy-Sicily

http://www.bed-and-breakfast-sicily.it/

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

New York
reviews: 2
10. Re: 5-6 days in sicily

best to rent a car.......

Most hotels in Palermo have parking facilities for a fee.

Agrigento is a worthwhile trip too...2 hour drive from Palermo

If you decide to fly out of Palermo or any airport for that matter, best to drop off car @ the airport, it may cost a little more for Airport drop off, but may not be as expensive as cab fare.

Make your car reservations on line prior to arrival in Italy...we prefer Avis..but that's ur decision.