We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days in Sicily

Which Sicily hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
7 Days in Sicily

My husband and I along with some friends are visitng Sicily for 7 days this christmas holidays. We arrive on 24th night. We have booked out stay in Palermo, but that is amendable. I have the huge burden of planning the itenerary, How many days is needed to see palermo? I was thinking 1 day in Palermo, a day trip to Mt Etna. What are the best things to do for the rest of the trip. There seems to be so much to do in Sicily. I remember reading a post which suggested staying overnight at a place in Sicily, which was supposed to be the most romantic and not to be missed. but I dont seem to find that post anymore. :( any idea where this place could be? Many thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: 7 Days in Sicily

Welcome to Sicily ConfusedMe!

What time will you arrive and depart Palermo?

Base in Palermo without a car hire. If you’ve hired a car, then plan to base outside Palermo.

But if you’d like to see Mount Etna, begin in Eastern Sicily and end around Palermo to better position for your departing flight.

If you’d like to see Palermo for 2-3 days with a half-day excursion to Monreale, then return the car hire at the airport and take the bus to the city.

If you’ve hired the car for your entire stay, then perhaps base in Cefalù at the end of your route, and take the train to Palermo for a day trip.

But on arrival, drive to Taormina and base in Taormina for Christmas, and take a day trip to Mount Etna from Taormina.

Then perhaps spend two nights in Siracusa, one night in Agrigento, and end in or around Palermo.

You might also base in Trapani and visit Erice, Segesta, and Palermo from a base in Erice.

The Prestia e Comandè service from the airport to Palermo runs later than other public transport from Palermo to any surrounding town. You could then enjoy a very long day in Palermo, including dinner, which is generally considered late in Sicily by tourist’s standards, just beginning around 20.00. Then take the bus back to the airport, collect your car, and drive onward to your hotel.

Vagabonda

UK
2. Re: 7 Days in Sicily

Thanks for your response. I should have given you more specifics earlier. We are renting a car from the airport itself for the entire stay. We are presently booked for all 7 nights in the Bel 3, which I think is outside the city of Palermo, Via Ruffo Di Calabria. Looking at the distances it doesn't appear very feasible to stay here and do day trips to the east day after day. Would you agree? If so, how many days shall I split our stay? I would prefer maximum 2 places to stay, one in the East and the rest in Palermo. I think I can manage driving the driving on the two parts this way reasonably ok.

I noticed you suggested moving from place to place in one or two days. I suspect I will struggle to book all these things so precisely in the little time I have left. Are places easy to find at this time of year without reservation?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: 7 Days in Sicily

Reconsider your plan to spend all your nights in this location – This location isn't convenient for seeing Palermo, and certainly the distance isn’t practical for day trips to Eastern Sicily.

The number of days you would spend in Eastern Sicily and Palermo would be determined by your intended day trips – What would you like to see?

Vagabonda

4. Re: 7 Days in Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, December 17, 2013