We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short trip from malta - help? advice?

Which Sicily hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seoul, Korea
short trip from malta - help? advice?

hello everyone!

i'm browsing info about sicily now, my friend will come to visit me in malta all the way from japan, so i suggested to have a 3 day trip to sicily too - 29th-31st (come back 31st 16:30 from pozzallo).

so far i've been wondering whether or not it is worth at all to go to catania hoping to have a mt. etna hike, assuming the weather will still be decemberish, soaky and windy, that doesnt seem so great..

i was captivated by the images from the unesco heritage baroque towns - noto, modica (chocolate!), ragusa.. and they seem more less close to one another too, with syracuse not much farther, and fairly close to pozzallo (ferries to and from malta).

so perhaps it'd be just better to stay in this area...

would anyone here have any good words of advice regarding what is worth or not seeing, where it is best to stay perhaps?

you think it'd be possible to catch a train to agrigento to have a peek at the valley of temples and temple of concord?

last but not least, the website of the pozzallo port seems to be indicating there is absolutely no transport from that port save for taxis... huh? really? how do i get to modica or syracuse from there?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: short trip from malta - help? advice?

Welcome to Sicily bakatenko!

You’re underestimating distances, especially with so little time!

Perhaps consider a fast and Economy Saver Air Malta flight that would more conveniently arrive in Catania if you’d like to visit Mount Etna - You should expect wintry weather on Etna’s summit in December.

The only public transport to Etna is a once daily (morning) AST bus from Catania via Nicolosi with a return in the evening.

From Catania, head to Siracusa and onward to Noto, Modica, and Ragusa, departing by ferry from Pozzallo.

You would encounter several transportation issues – There is no train service to Modica or Ragusa on Sundays, and also no AST bus service to Modica on Sundays. Interbus would run bus service from Catania to Ragusa.

Although Hertz has a location at Pozzallo’s port, check ahead for the schedule during this holiday period if you decide to hire a car.

You would never take the train to Agrigento – You would take the direct SAIS Trasporti bus service from Catania to Agrigento, 3 hours in each direction.

http://www.saistrasporti.it/

So perhaps just stay in the Pozzallo, Modica, Ragusa, Noto, Siracusa area, or perhaps arrive and depart from Catania and see Etna and Siracusa.

If you were to arrive in Pozzallo, you would walk or take a taxi to the town, and then take a bus onward.

Train from Pozzallo to Siracusa:

tripadvisor.com/…41058762

Fermata AST to Catania:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g652024-i12598-k53…

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Seoul, Korea
2. Re: short trip from malta - help? advice?

hello vagabonda!

thank you very much for the reply. after looking at the map i also came to the conclusion that it'd be best to stay just in the siracuse, noto, modica, ragusa area.

from what i read also here, that area (ragusa, modica, noto) is perhaps a tad more picturesque and is literally filled with unesco heritage sites.

assuming we would arrive to pozzallo around 9am, would it be enough to stroll through siracuse for a day and then take a hike to ragusa/modica to stay there and spend the next day and half there?

modica seems to be a bit over 5 kms afar from ragusa, which should be doable by taxi on sunday when there is no transportation.

unfortunately this is a very last minute idea and these are the only days when i can think of organising this trip, so part of it has to be on sunday.

Seoul, Korea
3. Re: short trip from malta - help? advice?

i've made a decision and booked a lovely looking and surprisingly cheap b&b in the heart of modica (your descriptions of ragusa and modica when asked "ragusa or modica", where to stay, has helped me make this choice, as well as its proximity to other towns i want to visit as well as a tag of it being the "chocolate town" - making it the ultimate winner :).

we will be arriving in pozzallo at 6,30 on saturday, i think of going to siracuse or noto during the day and to go to modica in the evening (check in is only between 16-20 anyway) - http://www.siciliando.it

sunday will be a day without public transportation, that's why i thought of staying somewhere remotely central and using taxis on sunday.

would you rather recommend noto or siracuse to be seen? noto looks beautiful, but also very similar to ragusa and modica.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
4. Re: short trip from malta - help? advice?

Hello bakatenko,

Yes, Siracusa and the Val di Noto are filled with picturesque towns and pristine countryside and UNESCO sites.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1024

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1200

Modica is a lovely town with excellent trattorie, a genuine Sicilian experience – Expect steps!!

Avoid Osteria dei Sapori Perduti, even if convenient to I Tetti di Siciliando – There are so many other wonderful options.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g616190-d670461…

Siracusa deserves the most time – There’s much to see and do in Siracusa!

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: short trip from malta - help? advice?

Modica's Tourist Information on Corso Umberto is very helpful - Plan to visit.

Vagabonda

Seoul, Korea
6. Re: short trip from malta - help? advice?

ok, last question :)

plans changed and we need to fly to catania and then transport ourselves to modica - you would recommend bus for that as well?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
7. Re: short trip from malta - help? advice?

There’s direct AST bus service from Catania’s airport to Modica -

http://www.aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/

aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/opencms/opencms…

Vagabonda

8. Re: short trip from malta - help? advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 07, 2014